Thread: Lithium battery is great..until it gets cold..arg

Lithium battery is great..until it gets cold..arg

What would be the highest crank amp battery out there for a Buell? Gel etc..

thanks!

I used a NOCO 14 lithium battery for an '09 XB12SCG. Crazy CA rated around 500

Deka or house-branded equivalent is the finest I can recommend. ETX-14 correct part number all XB's all years. AGM style...factory flooded and permanently sealed...rated at 220CCA's but consistently delivers 10-17% more than that. Chinese Ebay/Amazon garbage listed CCA ratings are fake. Reasonably priced, all AMERICAN components, produced right up the road from me, has been the H-D/Buell OEM battery for all production models since the late 60's, and typically has a life-span of 7-10 years when properly maintained.

220CA is about max for that physical battery size and I second that DEKA is a fine brand of AGM battery. LI-ion batteries kind of 'cheat' that test. The starter will only use what it needs no matter how big the supply. 200 CA from a cheap battery is simply not enough supply.

I have had great luck using both AGM and Li-ion on my Buells, with the only difference being a huge weight difference. Pick you poison, but make it a quality poison.

If you are dealing with temps near freezing, get an AGM. Li-ion don't like to work or charge when frozen.

Side note: Is it an OE starter? Ebay replacement starters come in 2 versions, low and high amp. Guess which one sucks.

Ended up getting a Braille battery. Cranks like never before.

Screen Shot 2022-03-12 at 10.47.51 AM.png Wheez gots the jokes!

That looks to be a good brand thats built well. FYI, Li-ion still won't like anything below freezing though.

I spent the dollars and bought a DEKA. Removed the starter hesitation, and started so much easier. 20210707_174658.jpg