Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strange gear/clutch effect

Strange gear/clutch effect

Hi Guys. I was looking to buy a XB9 Firebolt from 2003. The bike starts well, idles and revs pretty ok. Problem starts when ridden for a few minutes. After shifting to 2nd or 3rd (basically any higher gear) the gear gets engaged, but after a split second I get a feeling as the clutch would start slipping (on acceleration) just for a few seconds, as if you were trying to do a wheelie, and then it catches on again very rapidly. There is a rattling sound that goes with this. Has anyone came across anything like it? Any input much appreciated, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Maciejewski View Post
    Hi Guys. I was looking to buy a XB9 Firebolt from 2003. The bike starts well, idles and revs pretty ok. Problem starts when ridden for a few minutes. After shifting to 2nd or 3rd (basically any higher gear) the gear gets engaged, but after a split second I get a feeling as the clutch would start slipping (on acceleration) just for a few seconds, as if you were trying to do a wheelie, and then it catches on again very rapidly. There is a rattling sound that goes with this. Has anyone came across anything like it? Any input much appreciated, thanks!
    Could be the spring plate in the clutch pack coming apart. Doubt its the dogs slipping, but I guess that could be a possibility.

Or it could be the crank pulley bolt has loosened off the crank and the rotor is coming off the splines.

Thanks a lot bud, will have a look at that

Only on super hard acceleration? Or can you ride it normally?

Even though your description sounds like dogs chattering and slipping, each set of gears has its own set of dogs, so it's unlikely they are ALL worn badly enough to skip.

A shift fork will typically bend back (the direction of force) and then wouldn't allow the dogs to seat in different gears but it's super rare though. A worn shift drum (even more rare) would do the same.

I'd dive into the primary where all the magic happens, check the crank pulley like Fred Sanford said above, and pull the clutch to inspect the basket and nut as well. Take a gander at the output pulley too. You'll have telltale shavings and terribly wobbly things if splines are shot enough to slip.

Either way its a hard pass no matter how cheap it is, unless you're a mechanic. Transmission repairs require removing the engine and splitting the case.

Thank you kindly, that’s a lot of information very professionally given, Guys. I will have a look at what is easily accessible, but I guess taking the engine out and splitting might not be the best way to start with a new bike 😉

This would be on even very slight acceleration.

You need to discern the difference between a gear not properly engaging...and a failing clutch pack assembly and/or its ancillary components. Takes substantial experience and a keen ear to differentiate between what's possibly amiss inside the engine case, or failing inside the primary cover. In all likelihood, what you're describing is a problem residing under the primary cover, circled in yellow. A few specific dedicated tools and more than a modicum of wrenching abilities required to address and repair same, which I doubt you possess. Have an available XB/XL/XR tech in your area willing to assist? Then consider purchasing for very cheap money. If not, walk away.

810928.jpg

To wit, you're probably going to be in for a clutch pack at least, and possible transmission replacement at most. To help narrow that down, you will need to remove the primary like Barrett illustrated, which you likely will not be able to do pre-purchase.

Unless you're getting it really really cheap ($1000), and dont mind spending hours doing a job that should take 30 minutes, I'd walk away from it. The other reality is that all of the XB's are now 10+ years old and some getting ready to hit the 20 year mark (like the early 2003 models), so you are going to have to be ready to work on it. Most of the XB's I've bought have had owners who just put gas in and rode them until they stopped running. No matter how simple or cheap the seller claims the repair is, just bear in mind, if that was really the problem or it was really that cheap to fix, they would have already done it.

The later bikes, especially the 08+up models are the better of the lot, and while they dont make more power, they are more refined and have longevity upgrades already done. They do command more $$$ but they are worth every penny for a well cared for example (like Barrett's bikes).
    Last edited by 34nineteen; 02-01-2022 at 03:29 PM.

I would pay $1000 for a NICE Buell with clutch problems, I might not take a free one with trans issues. Sure, call me trans-phobic

OP's description is pretty vague but it's the:
    Quote Originally Posted by Maciejewski View Post
    and then it catches on again very rapidly. There is a rattling sound that goes with this.
    that makes me think bad things like gear dogs or splines, not just a slipping clutch.

Are you shopping for a Buell? Get a good one. You'll love it.

Or are you just shopping for a cheap bike? Go Japanese.
    Last edited by Cooter; 02-01-2022 at 05:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    I would pay $1000 for a NICE Buell with clutch problems, I might not take a free one with trans issues. Sure, call me trans-phobic

OP's description is pretty vague but it's the:

that makes me think bad things like gear dogs or splines, not just a slipping clutch.

Are you shopping for a Buell? Get a good one. You'll love it.

Or are you just shopping for a cheap bike? Go Japanese.
    Youre a cheap bike.

The answer should reveal itself once the primary cover is off. It could be something simple as the grenade plate coming apart slowly, however good luck getting the seller to let you pull the cover to determine that.

It would be really weird for multiple gears to have bad dogs unless the bike has been hammered on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast