Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Strange gear/clutch effect

You're hammered on.

Quote Originally Posted by Barrett View Post
    You need to discern the difference between a gear not properly engaging...and a failing clutch pack assembly and/or its ancillary components. Takes substantial experience and a keen ear to differentiate between what's possibly amiss inside the engine case, or failing inside the primary cover. In all likelihood, what you're describing is a problem residing under the primary cover, circled in yellow. A few specific dedicated tools and more than a modicum of wrenching abilities required to address and repair same, which I doubt you possess. Have an available XB/XL/XR tech in your area willing to assist? Then consider purchasing for very cheap money. If not, walk away.

Attachment 16049
    Thanks Barret, you might be right saying to walk away. I will see if there's anything I can do. Appreciate your comment.

My pleasure Sir. This October, the XB9R you're considering will be 20 years old. Any bike in that age range is going to need both attention to detail and specific maintenance to bring it back to "like new" standards. Couple that with the fact that all 2003 XB's had a few teething problems....smaller spec drive-belt....side stand and side stand safety switch and front brake hose defects sufficient enough to warrant factory issued TSB's to all dealerships....if I were you I'd continue your search.

Quote Originally Posted by Barrett View Post
    My pleasure Sir. This October, the XB9R you're considering will be 20 years old. Any bike in that age range is going to need both attention to detail and specific maintenance to bring it back to "like new" standards. Couple that with the fact that all 2003 XB's had a few teething problems....smaller spec drive-belt....side stand and side stand safety switch and front brake hose defects sufficient enough to warrant factory issued TSB's to all dealerships....if I were you I'd continue your search.
    That's valuable information and a good point. Cheers Bud!

Not sure if you are still working on your problem but I have pictures of BOTH STYLES OF TRANSMISSION for the XB's 03-05 which are Straight Cut gears and 06 an up are all Helical Cut also 3 of the 4 bearings are different size in the 06 and up transmission. 16.jpg18.jpg1.jpg Just to point out the first picture is 03-05 XB trans and the second picture is the Shift Drum from the 03-05 trans with the bad shift fork channel-second row up has a worn corner on the high point of that channel. 3rd picture is the 06 and up trans which is what I went to along with 06 and up ENGINE CASES which I got off E BAY for $ 99.00 plus shipping.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Did the new transmission require a new case? It seems like the complete transmission would retrofit into either case. I think the only difference between early and late cases was the extra threaded hole cast into the RH side by the belt pulley for attaching the oil hoses. Or at least thats all I noticed.

YES YES YES the 3 bearing size difference is the outer diameter mostly and the biggest one of all is the output shaft which is a double row bearing in the 2006 and up unlike the single row bearing on the 03 to 05 years. The engine case I was able to buy was from 06 and the transmission was from a 07 which they destroyed the output shaft bearing removing it which coast me $ 56.00. All together I was able to get rid of the repeat failing ALL ALUMINUM SHIFT CAM with the better all steal shift cam version of the 06 and newer engine cases and 07 trans all for under $420.00 . Cases for 99 plus shipping and 175.00 for the trans. Output bearing 56.00. I have 14,000 ish on the new upgrade until my now not running well issue. 25.jpg34.jpg26.jpg[ATTACH=CONFIG]1
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by MOTORCYCLES247; 05-12-2022 at 06:26 AM.

YES YES YES the 3 bearing size difference is the outer diameter mostly and the biggest one of all is the output shaft which is a double row bearing in the 2006 and up unlike the single row bearing on the 03 to 05 years. The engine case I was able to buy was from 06 and the transmission was from a 07 which they destroyed the output shaft bearing removing it which coast me $ 56.00. All together I was able to get rid of the repeat failing ALL ALUMINUM SHIFT CAM with the better all steal shift cam version of the 06 and newer engine cases and 07 trans all for under $420.00 . Cases for 99 plus shipping and 175.00 for the trans. Output bearing 56.00. I have 14,000 ish on the new upgrade until my now not running well issue. 25.jpg34.jpg26.jpg20200404_162915.jpg20200425_161715.jpg20200425_161629.jpg

Interesting. I didnt bother to take measurements of those bores, but now I'm curious. Not that I dont believe you....

The picture of the two smaller bearings are for the place on the lower counter shaft the left bearing is the 06 and up size and the right was my old 04 which is the 03 -05 year size. Plus the right side bearing is thicker. Just one of 3 that are different in O D size. Only the counter shaft needle bearing was the same size. The main shaft output bearing is completely different and so is the SEAL. I was amassed that I was able to find perfectly good cases even after shipping and also the trans for so little.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12