Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New tires and maintenance

I ran into a few more issues than I anticipated but so far I have the wheels off. I think some years of neglect have added some corrosion and issues I will have down the line.
    Front bearings are toast. I can barely move them without force. Rears are in better shape but need replacing. Both axles were extremely tight so I am grateful I ordered bearings and axle spacers. Tensioner bearings are smooth and won't need replacing.

One question though... the front sprocket has quite a bit of surface rust. I cleaned it up a bit but I am wondering if I should remove it and treat it with a rust preventative paint or something else?

Appreciate the help...

One question though... the front sprocket has quite a bit of surface rust. I cleaned it up a bit but I am wondering if I should remove it and treat it with a rust preventative paint or something else?

NO! You need several specialized dedicated tools to accomplish that which I'm sure you don't own or have access to. Simply sufficiently clean external surface and a few light coats with any decent rust-preventative paint works fine. Keep it off belt surface.

@Barret Thank you. I got in there pretty good with a wire brush and some sand paper. It initially seemed a lot worse but it was surface rust at most. I wiped some wd40 onto the rusted areas and also made sure not to get it on other parts. After leaving it for a few hours it already looks pretty good. I will be sure to not get any paint on the belt surface.

Thank you all for helping out and the guidance provided. She's all back together and ready to ride!

Best piece of advice by far was the axle spacers. Rear bearings where stuck and all rusted up in there and the axle spacer didn't look very healthy. Glad I ordered them and didn't hesitate to see if they were still good.

Thanks again and hope everyone gets some riding in this weekend.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123