Thread: XB9R Leaking oil from front exhaust manifold

XB9R Leaking oil from front exhaust manifold

Hey folks,

I bought a 2007 xb9r and overall it's in decent shape but last night I noticed there was some dark motor dripping from the exhaust header. I don't have the muffler on so it was dripping onto the floor even when not started. The front exhaust flange also looks like it has a little oil residue on it. The seller sold it to me without a primary gasket so I have to add one and try starting the bike or can I start it for a briefly?
    I ordered the kit to do a compression test but I'm thinking what else could it be if it's not the piston seals. Maybe valve seals?
    I'm from Houston,TX so if anyone local can help me out let me know.

A rocker box leak would be far more common. Personally I wouldn't start it without the primary gasket (or the primary cover) installed. Maybe post a pic of the suspected leak?

Quote Originally Posted by d_adams View Post
    A rocker box leak would be far more common. Personally I wouldn't start it without the primary gasket (or the primary cover) installed. Maybe post a pic of the suspected leak?
    https://ibb.co/M137cQd

https://ibb.co/MhNVtdb
    Another leak at the bottom of oil pump, I dont know how it's leaking I'll have to clean it and see what happens

So the first leak is probably the valve guide seal. Tear down required to fix it. Second one, I'd have to look for it, but probably an oil pump gasket would fix it.

Limited appearances seem to indicate this Firebolt has lead a hard life and been exposed to excessive heat and very high cylinder head temps. The death knell for all XB's.

Chuffing oil out exhaust port: Worn valve guide...worn valve seal....excessive oil being introduced into the combustion chamber. Remove header and view the exhaust valve stem. If oil deposits are "coked" onto the stem itself, the guide/seal are the culprits. If not the problem lies elsewhere.

Oil pump leak: Cracked pump housing....defective lid-to-pump body O-ring...defective pump to engine case gasket....loose pump lid screws....loose pump mounting screws. Pump should be removed, serviced, gasket and O-ring replaced.