Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cam position sensor-sensor assmbly

Cam position sensor-sensor assmbly

In the parts book the number for the cam sensor is 32443-04 for 04-05-06-07 xb's and when i saw a post of a picture of a 03 xb9 it had 32400-94 on the sensor assembly which when i looked up sporster sensor 04 and later-2012 the number was the same as the 03xb9 32-400-94 but there is a slight differance in both xb9 an sporster to my o4 xb12r. All have the same color wires red-green-black. Would the newer sporster sensor assembly work in our buell's?????? If not i would ask if anyone has one for sale or where else to try and get one.

20220216_202424.jpg20220216_202304.jpgAttachment 16080 20220216_202437.jpg20220216_202548.jpg

To ALL with XB Buell's 04 - 07 then The THUNDERSTORM engine took over. My issues while on a ride for 20 miles or so came to a halt when at the first red light I came to the bike almost stopped running and was or very much so felt like it was on one cylinder only. Reved the throttle to get going as the light changed and I made it through the light sputtering and popping and a lot of mis firing most of the way home with some running on two cylinders for a while. Got home and from that point on Did ALL the that was on the form to check-Both Frame Ground connections 1st in the battery compartment then under the dash on the steering neck was like new with no loose connection or discoloration but cleaned anyway.-Replaced Intake seals with the JAMES XL-XR 26995-98 only because I had the throttle body off to send in the Injectors to be Ultrasonically cleaned-But had checked fuel pressure with adaptor fuel rail connector first with no problem there-Bought new OEM plug wires and E3 type spark plugs-BUELLTOOTH from Revision Moto connected and TPS reset cleared one code for not having AFV not plugged in and still ran like ****.-sputter popping and hard to keep running when all was done then rechecked with crank plugged removed redid static timing with Digital Meter and connected to GRAY plug on ECM pin 3 and 7 to find the 0 or 5 volt method. Still would not run correct and just happen to manually advance the timing more than normal and it started to idle pretty good and with the BUELLTOOTH got the idle a 4.7degrees. Put my helmet and jacket on and went for a10 or 12 mile ride with no problem other than it felt a little uneven running at some speeds above 40mph. Came back -shut it off went inside for water and 20 minutes later the same thing happened-it almost would not start and when it did it ran like crap even when I tried redoing the timing a little at a time. This is why I am asking about the Cam Position Sensor. I will get one and let EVERONE know what happen after a few test rides. I have 34,467 on right now so I know exactly how it should feal when it is working correct. By for now.....

All XB's 2003 model year ONLY use CPS part # 32400-94. Also crosses over to pre-rubber-mount XL models. Hence the "dash 94" to verify same.
    All XB's 2004-2007 model years inclusive use CPS part # 32443-04. It does NOT cross-over to any other H-D models or known automotive applications. Decent amount still listed available in dealer system.

A few known tests exist to troubleshoot a suspect CPS module but these modules become increasingly erratic when complete failure imminent.

You're welcome.

I wonder if the 2003 bikes are dual fire? I was under the impression that the change in the CPS was to accomodate the single fire setup.

Back From FOLSOM HD hear in SACRAMENTO with good news that they were able to order my SENSOR ASSEMBLY as it is named in the parts manual or CPS cam position sensor seeing how it works in conjunction with the front INTAKE CAM. Only problem is that it was $ 252.00 even with my SENIOR DISCOUNT which did not exist. I thank you BARRETT for the coast of the wrong part I saved myself by not ordering the 03 SENSOR ASSEMBLY. It even looked 2 good 2 B true. When I get it I will up date on a post how it pans out... Always Ride Safe Bueller's.

Got that Phone Call From Harley Davidson Of Folsom Today For My SENSOR ASSEMBLY-CPS Being In Finally. So I will Be Updating The Ill Running Buell Saga Soon Which Should Help Out A Ton For My Simpton's To Share With All.

Well did it fix your issue? I have almost the same issue going on with my 09 XB12SCG. I've replaced the TPS, IAT, spark plugs, and had IDS tune my ECM for the Jardine and air filter. It runs great for about 8 miles and then it will start surging at 4500-6500 rpm and continually get worse the longer I ride it.

What are the few known tests to trouble shoot suspect CPS? Had trouble last summer bike stoped running when real hot, would still crank 30 minutes latter starts up. Over winter checked fuel pressure was 40 fixed fuel pump now 50. out for a ride today bike stopped running, started after 15 minutes checked for codes when I got home and none

Quote Originally Posted by blaster70 View Post
    What are the few known tests to trouble shoot suspect CPS? Had trouble last summer bike stoped running when real hot, would still crank 30 minutes latter starts up. Over winter checked fuel pressure was 40 fixed fuel pump now 50. out for a ride today bike stopped running, started after 15 minutes checked for codes when I got home and none

What are the few known tests to trouble shoot suspect CPS?

Symptoms vary and are different than test procedures.

Erratic tachometer needle readings coinciding with sporadic ignition misfires.
    Visual examination of the CPS assembly itself including plug.
    Scanning for fault codes #54&56....but they don't always coincide with failing CPS.
    Manually heating the CPS assembly then running engine to see if failing symptoms reappear.

I have a heat gun. would I want to remove the timer cover to get heat directly on CPS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast