Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Considering a Buell Ulysses, have some questions.

Considering a Buell Ulysses, have some questions.

Good evening,
    I've been kicking around buying a Ulysses for a couple years now, and I think I'm going to pull the trigger shortly. I've been riding since the '80s, started out on dirt bikes, did a lot of liter class stuff, and ended up on a BMW k1600gt. The k16 was an amazing machine, but because my driveway is gravel and off camber, getting it in and out of the garage wasn't that much fun. It also took longer than a quick run to the store to get the bike turned around.
    I want something light, and that is capable of doing dirt roads in Vermont where I live.
    My first question is am I totally out of my mind buying a 17-year-old bike with the expectation of jumping on it and riding it around?
    Besides the rear wheel bearings, are there any other real gotchas on them? I haven't had an air-cooled bike since probably 1995, is there anything I need to know there? There are none that I can find for sale in the northeast, and I would like to buy one jump on a plane with my gear and ride it home.
    And thank you very much!!!

They are out there but like any older vehicles check tire age and condition brake linings and fluid condition. If you go south for it the higher heat seems to deteriorate the drive belt. Check the lights especially the headlights hotter weather combined with HID or higher wattage halogens can deteriorate the reflective coating inside.
    Have the bike independently inspected and serviced as needed then fly and enjoy the trip home.

I am in the north west and don’t have road salt or the humidity to deal with Barrett my be a better judge on the subject. I have looked at Vstroms but haven’t ridden them. I make an occasional u turn on gravel with my lowered XT but thats about it and at 5’7” all 600+ dual sports are tall for me. A previous Uly owner that I bought a bunch of stuff from used to overland and go on fire road trips with his and the BMW KTM that other riders in the group had were all better performance off road or in the gravel but on the 100+ miles return trip off Mt Hood or through the coast range on the road the ULY was the stand out.

Quote Originally Posted by Barrett View Post
    Sir: I have spent substantial time in VT for both business reasons as well as motorcycle trips, and passing excursions on the way to Laconia. IMO both the sub-standard road quality along with the corrosive environment isn't conducive to satisfying Ulysses ownership. That, in conjunction with a long gravel driveway...lack of any available units for sale....traveling to "ride one home" says "consider something else" to me. What else? A 2012 or later low mileage well-maintained and sensibly-ridden 650 or 1000 Suzuki V-strom. Have owned 2 of each along with approx. 10 Ulysses, in the past 17 years. The V-strom line is superior in all regards to any Ulysses ever produced. Keep searching and good luck.
    I've been looking at v-strom's since the early 2000s and I just can't fall in love with them. I have tried. And I just can't.
    I won't be doing any riding when there is salt on the roads anyway. I'm still also kicking around an fz1, but I would like to be able to take it down gravel roads and have it be a little more handy than that. I had no problem whatsoever driving the 1600 up and down my driveway, it was turning it around on the little Hill that's just after my garage that sucked.

Quote Originally Posted by cvc View Post
    I am in the north west and don’t have road salt or the humidity to deal with Barrett my be a better judge on the subject. I have looked at Vstroms but haven’t ridden them. I make an occasional u turn on gravel with my lowered XT but thats about it and at 5’7” all 600+ dual sports are tall for me. A previous Uly owner that I bought a bunch of stuff from used to overland and go on fire road trips with his and the BMW KTM that other riders in the group had were all better performance off road or in the gravel but on the 100+ miles return trip off Mt Hood or through the coast range on the road the ULY was the stand out.
    I'm looking for something that I can ride down a gravel road occasionally with, but I'll be at least 80% pavement. If I was going to do a lot of off-road I would get something like an xl. Most of my bikes have been over 30 inches tall, and I'm short.

Quote Originally Posted by cvc View Post
    They are out there but like any older vehicles check tire age and condition brake linings and fluid condition. If you go south for it the higher heat seems to deteriorate the drive belt. Check the lights especially the headlights hotter weather combined with HID or higher wattage halogens can deteriorate the reflective coating inside.
    Have the bike independently inspected and serviced as needed then fly and enjoy the trip home.
    If I go this route, I will definitely take your advice.
    I'm not sure if this is exactly the right answer, but they are pretty cool and it would be different than anything I've owned.

Do it. Experience it. You deserve to find out first hand

Do you mean deserve in a good way?

May I be so bold then, as to suggest the ultimate "deep pockets" dual-sport/adventure riding rig known to mankind: The mighty GS. I'm on my 3rd and no other bike in recorded human history does so many things so incredibly well with such ease and aplomb. Let the German bashing begin from resident ne'erdowells.

GS.jpg

100_1975.jpg

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Barrette, you have an amazing collection of drool worthy bikes. It looks like one of them has an air filter filled LITERALLY to the top with oil . Like all the oil is being pumped from the oil tank directly to the air box.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast