Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Considering a Buell Ulysses, have some questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Broncoguy27 View Post
    I'm looking for something that I can ride down a gravel road occasionally with, but I'll be at least 80% pavement. If I was going to do a lot of off-road I would get something like an xl. Most of my bikes have been over 30 inches tall, and I'm short.
    So, you would get a Sportster for off roading? Even the Roadster with the long shocks only has 3" of travel, but the seat height is almost 31". An Iron, 48 or other Sportster with the lower seat height has only about 1.5-2" of rear travel.

With the 30"+ seat height, and the extra wide seat how do you think the Ulysses will work out at your height?

The Ulysses is more than capable for doing the job, but as a 17 year old bike from a manufacturer that is no longer in business and a parent company that wants nothing to do with it, if you have to ask, its probably not the right bike for you. Too many people buy these bikes for whatever reason, then are shocked 3 weeks later when they find out parts are difficult to find and/or non-existant, and no one wants to work on them (and probably shouldnt be allowed near the bike with a wrench anyhow).

If I were you, I'd figure out a way to deal with a V-strom. They are outstanding bikes with an outstanding track record, parts are still reasonably available, and if you need to take it to a mechanic, they won't look at it crossed-eyed or say things like "we dont work on Harleys". Owning a Buell can be a lot like dating a stripper.
    Last edited by 34nineteen; 02-21-2022 at 03:36 PM.

They revamped the klr650 recently... much safer choice than a Ulysses. It's like comparing a bowl of oatmeal to sushi from a gas station. Depends on how brave you are and how much you want sushi.

I don't know if I'd call the KLR 'Re-vamped" but I hear theres a new optional accessory in the Kawasaki parts catalog for it.

Screen Shot 2022-02-21 at 6.10.36 PM.png

Triumph 900, KTM 790,890,690,500,450 and so on. The new Honda 500 supposed to be a real nice adventure bike, all of these bikes come in off/on road models.Pretty much any bike can go on a gravel road on occasion, supposedly many adventure bikers are going from the big heavy models to the lighter versions because they want to be able to go solo adventure riding and be able to pick up the bike after a fall.

Quote Originally Posted by Broncoguy27 View Post
    Good evening,
    I've been kicking around buying a Ulysses for a couple years now, and I think I'm going to pull the trigger shortly. I've been riding since the '80s, started out on dirt bikes, did a lot of liter class stuff, and ended up on a BMW k1600gt. The k16 was an amazing machine, but because my driveway is gravel and off camber, getting it in and out of the garage wasn't that much fun. It also took longer than a quick run to the store to get the bike turned around.
    I want something light, and that is capable of doing dirt roads in Vermont where I live.
    My first question is am I totally out of my mind buying a 17-year-old bike with the expectation of jumping on it and riding it around?
    Besides the rear wheel bearings, are there any other real gotchas on them? I haven't had an air-cooled bike since probably 1995, is there anything I need to know there? There are none that I can find for sale in the northeast, and I would like to buy one jump on a plane with my gear and ride it home.
    And thank you very much!!!
    I've owned my 2009 xbxt for ten years now. having owned and ridden may different motorcycles for over 40 years, I can truly say the Uly is the most "fun" I've ever had on two wheels. I don't abuse my equipment and other than a few minor glitches, the bikes been trouble free. With that said, I would heed the advice of others. You have to be willing to search for some parts if the need arises. Finding a good mechanic will most likely be challenging. If you're willing to risk be "down" for a time or have another motorcycle for backup it could be an enjoyable experience.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Recently a friend of mine who got me into Buells a few years ago wanted to buy my Triumph explorer which I would have done but he changed his mind and wanted my little ully, out of the question I had to tell him. I think it's the best all around bike ever made.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12