Thread: 2003 xb9s lightning oil fills airbox

Xb9s lightning oil filter air filter help

Hey guys so I've only had this Buell for about a year but I don't know much about them the issue I'm having now is I did an oil change the bike was running good for a while and now it feels my air box where the air filters at with oil and I mean fills it and so I cleaned it all out you know replace the filter fill it up with oil again and the same thing happens do you guys have any suggestions
    Last edited by Bobby garrison; 02-20-2022 at 10:18 PM. Reason: Need help

What?

Pics.

My Buell keeps filling up my air box for my air filters at with oil like it'll start out running good and then it's like it gets warm and then literally at like all of the oil that's in my oil tank just floods into my air filter

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    What?

Pics.
    Pretty sure someones exaggerating.

If it was "literally" filling the air box with oil, it would be leaking out of the airbox, and the engine would be out of oil.

Since it began happening after an oil change, and no mention of a service book or any other pertinent details, I'm going to guess that too much oil was added to the bike, and its being forced out of the breathers into the air box, like Barrett mentioned.

After I read your posts, you should also check this. Have you run a line from your oil tank directly to your airbox? Or from the oil pump directly to the airbox? That would make your situation make sens---- understandable.
    Last edited by 34nineteen; 02-21-2022 at 03:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    Pretty sure someones exaggerating.

If it was "literally" filling the air box with oil, it would be leaking out of the airbox, and the engine would be out of oil.

Since it began happening after an oil change, and no mention of a service book or any other pertinent details, I'm going to guess that too much oil was added to the bike, and its being forced out of the breathers into the air box, like Barrett mentioned.

After I read your posts, you should also check this. Have you run a line from your oil tank directly to your airbox? Or from the oil pump directly to the airbox? That would make your situation make sens---- understandable.
    uuumm yeah, when I took possession of my first Buell, this exact thing happened. The air box was covered internally with oil, and the filter was soaked in engine oil. when the shop filled it with oil, he did it on a lift with the bike level.....and cold. He said he filled it to the top mark on the dip stick (Over filled it) and it blew it out the breather into the airbox. a bloody mess to clean up.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    What?

Pics.
    Agreed. This deserves it's own status in the forum.

FACT: Buell made a "Fondue" model, then turbocharged it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby garrison View Post
    Hey guys so I've only had this Buell for about a year but I don't know much about them the issue I'm having now is I did an oil change the bike was running good for a while and now it feels my air box where the air filters at with oil and I mean fills it and so I cleaned it all out you know replace the filter fill it up with oil again and the same thing happens do you guys have any suggestions
    If it was me with the issue you describe I would do the following.

With the bike on its side stand, remove the drain bung in the swing arm, and drain the oil until it is just touching the bottom of the dip stick...which you wind in all the way btw.
    You could drain it all out if you want.......then refill it till the oil just touches the bottom of the dip stick. Run the bike at idle for couple of minutes, and recheck the level. top it up to the BOTTOM fill mark, and run it again for a few minutes. If all is still ok and no oil is being spat into the air box, take it for a ride and get it nice and warm.....then check the oil level...top it up a touch if need be, but don't fill it past the top fill notch. Then repeat and check again. Check the oil level every ride until you are confident its not changing and your air box stays clean.
    If your air box continues to get oil in it then you have other problem like what Barret stated......
    I'm not a Mechanic......but its where I would start to diagnose the problem, and how I sorted my similar sounding issue