Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm BACK

I'm BACK

I am hoping someone can give me some advice for my next step.

My blast died on me at a stop sign. I walked it home get it apart and found that the sparkplug had come apart. The small screwed on top piece was stuck in the cable. I replaced the plug but no joy. Next I replaced the battery, which needed to be replaced anyways. When that didn't work I cleaned the carbs with gum out. After doing that I am now to the point in the video below...

Please Obi-Forum Kanobi you are my only hope.

https://youtu.be/htxeWCmwW9k

Lone Starr will have to do

Will it re-start right away? Or only after you wait awhile?

Run it again... and after it dies... back out the screw on the bottom of the float bowl 5 turns, does a shot glass worth of gas come out of it? Is it empty?

I suspect it's empty. Check that the tank has enough fresh gas in it, make sure the petcock is not clogged and the fuel line isn't pinched or clogged.

If that all checks out then take the carb off the bike and have it taken apart and ultrasonically cleaned by the oldest mechanic you can find. Even a small engine repair shop should be able to do that for you.

Or buy a NEW carb off e-bay.

No it won't start right back up. I will give this a try after dinner. Thanks!

I learned a valuable lesson tonight... When taking the float bowl off... Remember to turn the pet cock off.

Long story short there was fuel in the bowl.

Don't take the bowl off. Don't shut off the petcock.

To continue to diagnose why its dying and not re-starting right away, you need to know if there fuel in the bowl right after it dies

To do that,
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    Run it again... and right after it dies... back out the screw on the bottom of the float bowl 5 turns, does a shot glass worth of gas come out of it?
    This one:
    Screen Shot 2022-02-28 at 10.52.12 PM.png

I know thats not a Blast carb.
    Last edited by Cooter; 03-01-2022 at 05:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    Don't take the bowl off. Don't shut off the petcock.

To continue to diagnose why its dying and not re-starting right away, you need to know if there fuel in the bowl right after it dies

To do that,

This one:
    Screen Shot 2022-02-28 at 10.52.12 PM.png

I know thats not a Blast carb.
    Stock Blast carb does not have a drain screw.

I always learn something new about the Blast whenever Jetlee comes around.

I THOUGHT I WAS CRAZY!!!!!

OK because that is why I took the bowl off because I didn't see a screw. So I guess then my question is does anyone know what I should do next?

Quote Originally Posted by Nekowrites View Post
    I THOUGHT I WAS CRAZY!!!!!

OK because that is why I took the bowl off because I didn't see a screw. So I guess then my question is does anyone know what I should do next?
    The Blast has some weird things on it that we assume are on all carbs, such as accelerator pumps and float bowl drains.

Get some starting fluid and run the bike with the air filter off until it dies. Then immediately after it dies spray some starting fluid into the carb. If it starts back up, you have a fuel starvation issue. If not, its likely ignition related.

Have you checked to make sure the fuel tank is venting? When it dies remove the fuel cap to see if you can hear air rushing into the tank.

Have you checked the fuel lines to make sure they are not blocked?

If someone added a fuel filter, is it clogged?

Is the petcock flowing fuel or is it clogged? Is it turned all the way to one position or another?

It could very well be that fuel flow is being restricted just enough so the float bowl runs empty while the bike is running, but still trickles out enough fuel to fill the bowl over time.

Have you checked the float height? Although if you werent having problems from the start, its likely not an issue now.

Or it could be that the float is leaking gas into it and holding the needle and seat open too long (float height too low) and it just runs too rich until the plug fouls. Usually thats indicated by black smoke coming from the exhaust pipe.

Either way, the video does sound like it is a fuel starvation issue since it gradually runs slower and slower until it cant. If it was ignition, it would just stop.

Before you roll your eyes at the video, there have been a lot of people on this forum who have done that or equally dumb things like hooking up their battery backward.

Or putting DOT 4 brake fluid in their brake reservoir when it clearly says DOT 5.

The fuel system on a Blast is very similar to a lawnmower.

Last edited by 34nineteen; 03-01-2022 at 08:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jetlee View Post
    Stock Blast carb does not have a drain screw.
    Thanks.
    Screen Shot 2022-03-01 at 3.31.17 PM.png

Still trying to help him diagnose the Blast the same exact way 34:19 is.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast