Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm BACK

Cooter, 3419, jetlee - thank you all for chiming in. I really appreciate it.

So the petcock is good. And I went ahead and replaced the fuel line. I believe I am getting get good flow out of the gas tank I didn't hear any sucking and I fired it up with the gas cap off. I am still having the issue.

Is replacing the carb my next step? And does it have to be a stock Buell Carb or can I buy an aftermarket one?

You mentioned "carbs". You attempted to disassemble part of it with the fuel valve ON. You "believe" you're getting sufficient fuel flow from tank to carb.
    You clearly have no idea what you're doing nor sufficient skills to resolve this. Seek assistance from someone who actually does.
    From the vid: NOT ignition problem. Fueling problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Barrett View Post
    You mentioned "carbs". You attempted to disassemble part of it with the fuel valve ON. You "believe" you're getting sufficient fuel flow from tank to carb.
    You clearly have no idea what you're doing nor sufficient skills to resolve this. Seek assistance from someone who actually does.
    From the vid: NOT ignition problem. Fueling problem.
    This was extremely helpful. I am lucky to have access to someone with your ability to see so clearly. Thank you for letting me bask in your greatness for even a brief moment.

Why not just pull it off and bring it to a motorcycle shop that works on carbs. Its just a Keihin CV40 carb, so just about any shop that is worth their salt should be able to easily clean and rebuild it.

If you want to buy a new carb you can, but most new carbs are going to be set up for an 883 or 1200 motor, which will mean you will need to send it to someone to set it up for the 500 motor in the Blast anyhow.

Unless the carb is physically damaged, there is no need to buy a new one. The Keihin CV style carb has been used in many different applications and is a very simple unit. But if you insist, there is a brand new, in the box (but probably sitting on a shelf for 12+ years) Blast specific one on eBay now.

Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    Why not just pull it off and bring it to a motorcycle shop that works on carbs. Its just a Keihin CV40 carb, so just about any shop that is worth their salt should be able to easily clean and rebuild it.

If you want to buy a new carb you can, but most new carbs are going to be set up for an 883 or 1200 motor, which will mean you will need to send it to someone to set it up for the 500 motor in the Blast anyhow.

Unless the carb is physically damaged, there is no need to buy a new one. The Keihin CV style carb has been used in many different applications and is a very simple unit. But if you insist, there is a brand new, in the box (but probably sitting on a shelf for 12+ years) Blast specific one on eBay now.
    That is what I will probably do (Remove it and take it in for a clean/rebuild) we have a shop here in town that I think should be able to do it. Thanks.

I for one, like that idea
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    take the carb off the bike and have it taken apart and ultrasonically cleaned by the oldest mechanic you can find. Even a small engine repair shop should be able to do that for you.
    If your diagnosis is correct and the fuel supply is flowing enough, its basically down to a sticking float or clogged needle/seat.

the oldest mechanic you can find.
    Like you?

Hey! How dare you! I'm not a mechanic!

Thanks.
    Attachment 16113

Still trying to help him diagnose the Blast the same exact way 34:19 is.
    I haven't said anything else, because it would just be repeating what y'all're sayin', but then I thought about this...

It could be a clogged petcock. It's an easy test, but tastes horrible.

Disconnect the fuel line from the carb (valve off). Let it drain and air out for a minute. Now put your mouth on it and blow, then turn the fuel valve on. Turn the valve off again before you stop blowing or you will suck gas.

If there's crap in the valve, you will blow it out into the fuel. This doesn't solve the problem of crap in your tank, but it will open a clogged valve temporarily. If the bike idles/runs fine after that, that was your problem, now remove the petcock to clean your tank out. If that doesn't solve your issue, I'd lean towards a sticky float; for that, just spray the ever-loving crap out of the hinges and fuel inlet with carb cleaner.

Ya we are all on the same track, seems fairly obvious somethings causing fuel starvation to, or inside, the carb:
    make sure the petcock is not clogged
    Use a hose thats longer than the top of the tank and you won't drink gas

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast