Thread: New fork seals leaking a little - install fail ??

New fork seals leaking a little - install fail ??

Oh dear god. So I actually did these twice. The process is really quite straight forward.

The first time apparently got some white plastic 'dust' between the fork legs and seal from the plumbing piece you use to set the seal (per ALL videos/DIYs). Didn't clean it up enough after cutting. Fair enough.

The second time everything was surgery room clean!! No plastic bits, everything was just perfect. I double and triple checked. Now maybe 3 - 4 weeks later, I have a weee bit of seepage. Some of it collected enough to converge and get a few drops of fluid on the brakes. Great.....

Are the seals a one and done thing? Was reinstalling them a mistake? I doubt it. The fact that I was SO careful the second time and still am dealing with very mild some leaking really bums me out.

Insight?

Man, can't say I haven't been there

First, pop off the dust seal and spray aerosol cleaner in there to get it clean and dry. Just to make sure it's not just residue from the job. The dust seal won't hold oil. If it still leaks assuming they are a decent brand, I'd go with using a Sealmate, a strip of thin rigid vinyl, 35mm film, etc to clean whatever is stuck in there. If it still leaks, buy a different brand of seal do it again, and make SURE to do the plastic bag trick when installing over the sharp edges of the fork tube. That WILL ruin a new seal immediately.

Also, I like to put a very thin layer of RTV on the outside edge (against the tube) of the seal as a just-in-case-might-as-well.

Hmm. Plastic bag trick? Have not heard of this. You mean the initial putting of the seal on tube? Uh oh. I used the AllBalls as many have and I didn't hear complaints while researching.
    I'm guessing 'spray aerosol cleaner' as in brake cleaner? Or some similar non-resudue leaving schmoo?

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderhead View Post
    Hmm. Plastic bag trick? Have not heard of this. You mean the initial putting of the seal on tube? Uh oh. I used the AllBalls as many have and I didn't hear complaints while researching.
    Or wrap the sharp sections with clear packing tape like Jens at NCCR does. I used to use a plastic bag, but prefer this.

If you have a seal that leaks, just toss it and start over with a new one. For the amount of hassle it takes to pull the fork off the bike and take it all the way apart, its not worth futzing with a questionable seal.

I'm guessing 'spray aerosol cleaner' as in brake cleaner? Or some similar non-resudue leaving schmoo?

I used denatured alcohol for cleaning excess (clean) oil off the forks.

BTW... Cooter is a questionable seal.
    Last edited by 34nineteen; 03-11-2022 at 02:46 PM.

Screen Shot 2022-03-11 at 11.10.32 AM.png

Yes to both.
    Something to protect the inner seal lips from being cut by the razor sharp edges of the fork tube on install. Put a small plastic bag, like a sandwich bag (cut off the zip lock thing if it has one), packing tape, electrical tape, whatever over the sharp edges, pre-lube the lips of the seal with fork oil and then put it on

My experience with All Balls has been fine. I like use All Balls. I like the way my All Balls fit in my hand and the hole, but other people have other opinions on what worked for them, but I won't give up my All Balls.

Any cleaner that evaporates and doesn't leave a residue. I'm just hoping theres a little residual oil left between the oil seal and the dust seal, but if theres a drip on the ground thats definitely a leak

IMO, if you put the seal in upside down you'd know right away, it would pump oil out pretty quickly. And ya, if you have to take the forks apart again, a new set of seals is cheap insurance.

I feel like I really connected with your Balls today. Thanks Coots, we really went up one level in our relationship. Really feeling a spiritual connection now.

Well, just popped off one dust seal and - OH BOY. While officially it's only for dust, it sure did hold in plenty of oil. I'd guess about 2-3 tablespoons. Yeah, time for a new set. I could see how the sharp edges are a killer. I was very careful but it still felt kinda wrong while installing them. Noted. I def didn't install them upside down though.

Welp, here's to becoming proficient at seal install! Hopefully the next one will only take a couple hours since I have had plenty of practice.

Damn, well. Good luck with your balls!

Mulitple installation errors. Typical.
    6:56----------Not done
    8:06----------Checked?
    8:35----------Not done
    8:54----------Not done
    10:00---------Probably did that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWNV9FkHqag