Thread: Possible grounding issue?

Possible grounding issue?

Hey fellow buell owners. I just bought an 04 xb12s and previous owner said its still not charging after replacing the stator, voltage regulator, and new battery. So possible grounding issue? Or maybe a short/open in the wiring? I havent started troubleshooting yet but plan on getting into it this weekend. I have a multimeter so going to do all the usual checks but wanted to ask if anyone knows exactly where the main ground connections are located on the bike? Id like to inspect those areas first before diving into the 77 connections, VR plug, and other possible culprits. Just seems weird that it still wouldnt self charge after replacing those components. Again, I havent dived into everything yet, just wondering where the main ground connections are?

2004 Lightning ground locations as follows: A few running production changes result in subtle differences but basics below. Also click link...see thread I initiated as user_deleted 10 years ago. You have either a failed in-series connection or component. Charging system DC output to battery still exists with 1 or more failed/missing ground connections.

1-Negative batt cable to left frame rail plus BLK-2
    2-BLK-1&3 to right frame rail
    3-ECM grounds to main harness access(see SM schematic)
    4-Braided "dog-bone" wire at main horizontal frame connector support
    5-Engine-to-frame main vertical frame connector support
    6-VR should be grounded to frame mount. Mostly overlooked but highly recommended
    7-See link below---main wiring harness to frame grounds vicinity of steering neck
    CHECK 30A BATTERY MAIN FUSE. If blown, cause is always either faulty VR or positive short-to-ground.

https://www.buellxb.com/forum/showth...y-and-Solution

Thanks Barrett, finally have some time this week to start working on the bike. So far all the ground connections look good except for the ground up front behind the triple clamp.

Theres literally nothing grounded there, just a torx bolt tightened to the frame with nothing behind it. The previous owner installed a new LED headlight assembly connected by a single white plug, however, further down on that same cable there are 2 pairs of blue and black wires branching off the were cut and arent attached to anything. Are those wires supposed to be grounded to that frame location? Basically just need to figure out what gets grounded there.

The headlights and gauge lights have all worked ok with these wires cut. Otherwise, the only other wires that are cut is just a single pair of red/green wires that run all the way back to the tail section where they are also cut there. Maybe those were to the oem license plate light? Ill try and send some pics soon. My first buell was all stock with no mods when I first got it and ran fine. So didnt encounter previous snipped wires or anything. This one is a different story. Theres mix matched bolts,connectors, different lengths, cut wires, etc. But I bought it as a project bike so thanks for all the helpful info.

Yes Sir my pleasure. As per your description, any insight I could provide would be pure speculation. Below is your 2004 S model SM including all wiring schematics. I'd start there.

file:///C:/Users/McD/Downloads/2004_lightning_manual.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Barrett View Post
    2004 Lightning ground locations as follows: A few running production changes result in subtle differences but basics below. Also click link...see thread I initiated as user_deleted 10 years ago. You have either a failed in-series connection or component. Charging system DC output to battery still exists with 1 or more failed/missing ground connections.

1-Negative batt cable to left frame rail plus BLK-2
    2-BLK-1&3 to right frame rail
    3-ECM grounds to main harness access(see SM schematic)
    4-Braided "dog-bone" wire at main horizontal frame connector support
    5-Engine-to-frame main vertical frame connector support
    6-VR should be grounded to frame mount. Mostly overlooked but highly recommended
    7-See link below---main wiring harness to frame grounds vicinity of steering neck
    CHECK 30A BATTERY MAIN FUSE. If blown, cause is always either faulty VR or positive short-to-ground.

https://www.buellxb.com/forum/showth...y-and-Solution
    2.5 Subframe at main frame connection points (4). I learned about this during my intern days at LF Heavy Industries Aerospace Division.