Thread: My oil overflows from my oil tank, what could be the problem?

My oil overflows from my oil tank, what could be the problem?

Hi all, todays problem is that my oil overflows from my oil tank and no, I do not have too much oil in the bike.

I'll start from the beginning.

I have a 2010 XB12Scg that I did some electrical work on over the winter and part of that work required the removal of the rear swing arm and all 3 oil lines that run back to the swing arm. Once the work was complete I reassembled the bike and installed a new oil filter and 2 and a half quarts of Bel-Ray 20-50 synthetic oil. I primed the oil system by pulling the spark plugs and spinning the engine over till the oil light went out then re installed the plugs and ran the engine up to temp. I shut off the engine and pulled the oil dip stick to check the oil and it came gushing out the filler hole on the swing arm. The oil light never came on while the engine was running so I am pretty sure that I have oil pressure and the engine never got super hot or made any weird noises. The oil seems to be flowing out of the oil pump back to the swing arm but it does not look like the oil is getting back to the engine.

I have pulled the 3 oil lines that I had previously removed and made sure that they are clear and also took the cover off the oil pump to see if there was any obvious blockage as well as inspected the oil return port on the swing arm for blockage and everything seems fine.

Did I do something wrong. Is the Bel-Ray oil just too thick until it gets up to temp? I would like to run the bike up to temperature again and check to see if the oil lines and filter get warm/hot but I'm afraid of doing damage to an oil starved engine.

I am scratching my head on this one.

Gord

Is the Bel-Ray oil just too thick until it gets up to temp?

NO

Assumption here is that you correctly reconnected the oil lines with nothing reversed or kinked:
    1-Swingarm vent tube clogged or collapsed.
    2-Swingarm internal vent tube dislodged or snapped off.
    3-Oiling system air-bound(most common cause).
    4-Engine had dramatically "wet-sumped" prior to lines being removed.

Check SM sections 3.9 thru 3.17 inclusive to confirm line routing and additional info. Manual is for 2009 but oiling info same as your 2010.

If simply an AIR-BOUND oiling system that has also "sumped", then do this:
    completely drain swingarm
    leave swingarm drain plug removed
    install swingarm fill cap
    crank and start motor and let idle for 5-7 seconds max
    let swingarm fully drain then replace drain plug
    add max of 2 quarts engine oil
    do NOT replace swingarm fill cap
    start engine-check for oil pressure-check for visible oil circulation in swingarm-check for air being vented from fill cap
    replace swingarm fill cap and run engine and now see if resolved
    If now ok then ride approx 5 miles to get bit of heat into engine...stop...park on sidestand...wait 30 seconds...check oil level....top off as required

http://buellmods.com/content/downloa...ice_manual.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Barrett View Post
    Is the Bel-Ray oil just too thick until it gets up to temp?

NO

Assumption here is that you correctly reconnected the oil lines with nothing reversed or kinked:
    1-Swingarm vent tube clogged or collapsed.
    2-Swingarm internal vent tube dislodged or snapped off.
    3-Oiling system air-bound(most common cause).

Check SM sections 3.9 thru 3.17 inclusive to confirm line routing and additional info. Manual is for 2009 but oiling info same as your 2010.

If simply an AIR-BOUND oiling system that has also "sumped", then do this:
    completely drain swingarm
    leave swingarm drain plug removed
    install swingarm fill cap
    crank and start motor and let idle for 5-7 seconds max
    let swingarm fully drain then replace drain plug
    add max of 2 quarts engine oil
    do NOT replace swingarm fill cap
    start engine-check for oil pressure-check for visible oil circulation in swingarm-check for air being vented from fill cap
    replace swingarm fill cap and run engine and now see if resolved
    If now ok then ride approx 5 miles to get bit of heat into engine...stop...park on sidestand...wait 30 seconds...check oil level....top off as required

http://buellmods.com/content/downloa...ice_manual.pdf
    My bet is here.

This post is worth bookmarking thanks

Well Barrett that did it. Followed your directions to the letter and my overflowing oil tank is no more. Thanks for the help in fact thanks for all your help over the years, you are an invaluable resource and I'm slowly coming to the realization that you probably have forgotten more about Buells than I will ever know.

Cheers
    Gord

I've said it before and will say it again. He's handsome and smart.

Aaron: You're too kind. Sadly, in person, I look like an aging version of Springsteen. Jay....not Bruce.

My pleasure Gord and glad you got this resolved. Your situation more common than you'd think....even after something as simple as an oil and filter change. Your symptoms were typical of both a "sumped" and air-bound oiling system. Have a good weekend and thanks much for the very kind words, as well.

So, handsome, smart and a bad ass on a motorcycle. But, I'm only reiterating the obvious. Thank you for being awesome!