Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 26

Thread: Blast belt

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2022
    Posts
    8

    Blast belt

    Anyone have any experience with custom made belts?
    I just got a blast about a month ago and I see that these are no longer in production an I want to have one for when it is needed and I found this online. https://www.webike.com.mm/products/24510667.html
    The price ends up being $220 USD.
    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Senior Member 34nineteen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Buc-ees
    Posts
    4,002
    Quote Originally Posted by Ross.9989 View Post
    Anyone have any experience with custom made belts?
    I just got a blast about a month ago and I see that these are no longer in production an I want to have one for when it is needed and I found this online. https://www.webike.com.mm/products/24510667.html
    The price ends up being $220 USD.
    Thanks!
    J&P or one of those companies sells a 1" belt they claim will fit a Blast for a little less. I was considering restoring a Blast and this seems like it would work, but dum-dum Cooter talked me out of it. He is a jerk.


    Maybe jetlee will pass through soon and drop a knowledge bomb on us.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2022
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by Barrett View Post
    Not sure what you mean by "out of production"?

    Part #---G0500.01A7........57 count still in factory dealer system
    Size reference: 139 tooth count---14mm pitch---1 inch width. Use that info when shopping
    Several manufacturers including Goodyear offer quality replacements at good price points

    First edition belt Obsolete part # ending in T has been purged from the system.
    My mistake, this is my first bike and I am new to sourcing motorcycle parts. I was under the impression that the parts were bike specific and manufactured by Harley or Buell. Where did you find it out of curiosity? If they are easily found I won't worry about buying one.

  4. #4
    Thanks for the info, I'm getting around to fixing my old Blast up and was wondering about a new belt (2001 year Blast and probably the original belt) I bought the bike in 2019 and just getting around to putting it back together (I bought it in boxes for $400 CDN)

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2022
    Posts
    8
    Thanks for the knowledge, if they are still available I won't put a rush on ordering one. I agree with you, it's always worth shelling out for higher quality parts, the last thing I want is a cheap replacement damaging more expensive non-perishable parts!

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2022
    Posts
    6
    Hi, my son bought a 06 Blast and I've been helping him with some mods and parts.
    I own a shop and I'm a dealer for Drag/Parts Unlimited.
    I want to keep a spare belt on hand just in case he needs one. I read that the Drag 1204-0064 1" 139T belt will work. I put one on a order and it showed that the part # had notes. I check the note and it says * Not for Buell Blast.

    I was wondering if anyone has used this belt on their Blast and if they had good luck with it or any installation problems.
    I've used the Drag Falcon SPC belts on a lot of big inch high performance Harleys and have had great luck with them.
    Screenshot 2022-04-20 at 14-44-18 Drag Specialties® - From our garage to yours.jpg

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2022
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Barrett View Post
    I would suspect the tooth pitch is not 14mm which the Blast uses.
    It's 14mm. This is the description "Belt, Falcon SPC, Rear Drive, Gilmer, 1.00 in. Width, 139-Tooth, 14mm Pitch"

  8. #8
    Senior Member 34nineteen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Buc-ees
    Posts
    4,002
    Quote Originally Posted by HDracerr View Post
    I own a shop and I'm a dealer for Drag/Parts Unlimited.
    Quote Originally Posted by HDracerr View Post

    I've used the Drag Falcon SPC belts on a lot of big inch high performance Harleys and have had great luck with them.
    But bring a small inch low performance Buell into the fray and you're lost?

    Oh, because a note tucked into the box says you shouldn't.

    My guess is that someone tried to install the belt on a Blast with the old pulleys, or just didnt know what they were doing, and raised hell with Drag Specialties, so they just put that note in the box (next to the note that said "Items sold for off-road use only are illegal in many states and provinces and are intended for racing vehicles which may never be used on a public road".) to protect them from those who shouldn't be allowed near tools in the first place.


    Here is one that J&P Cycles claims fits a Buell Blast. It also claims it fits 2000 models and makes no note of whether you need the updated pulleys to make it work... although Magdelyn says it wont.


    https://www.jpcycles.com/product/602...nal-drive-belt

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2022
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    But bring a small inch low performance Buell into the fray and you're lost?

    Oh, because a note tucked into the box says you shouldn't.

    My guess is that someone tried to install the belt on a Blast with the old pulleys, or just didnt know what they were doing, and raised hell with Drag Specialties, so they just put that note in the box (next to the note that said "Items sold for off-road use only are illegal in many states and provinces and are intended for racing vehicles which may never be used on a public road".) to protect them from those who shouldn't be allowed near tools in the first place.


    Here is one that J&P Cycles claims fits a Buell Blast. It also claims it fits 2000 models and makes no note of whether you need the updated pulleys to make it work... although Magdelyn says it wont.


    https://www.jpcycles.com/product/602...nal-drive-belt
    I was just checking before I ordered a part that I can't return.
    JP Cycles gets their parts from Drag. The two reviews are practically unlegible.

  10. #10
    Senior Member 34nineteen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Buc-ees
    Posts
    4,002
    Never mind my comment. I was under the impression you already ordered the part, it arrived and you saw the note in the package. I re-read your posting and realize I was wrong. Sorry.

    Yes, the two reviews do suck. But some people also can't open a wet paper bag with 2 hands, so I always take those with a grain of salt. I'd imagine the J&P belt and the Drag belt are the same... and there was probably a reason why J&P chose to specify that that belt was a replacement for P/N G0500.01A7. I tend to find seller specs to be accurate most of the time.

    From St Pauls website, it claims the belt has these specs:


    2000 Buell Blast / P3 (All 2000 recalled and changed to 2001 spec)

    Front sprocket 27 / 40218-00Y

    Rear sprocket 73T / G0400.T

    Belt 135t / G0500.T

    3/4" wide



    2001-2010 Buell Blast / P3

    Front sprocket 27 / 40218-00Y

    Rear sprocket 80T / G0420.01A7 / Replace at 15,000 mi

    Belt 139t / G0500.01A7 / Replace at 15,000 mi

    3/4" wide

    Is there room on the pulleys for the 1" belt? It could be that the 3/4" belt was substantially cheaper than the 1" belt for Harley back in the day. Maybe there wasnt a 1" belt being made for that bike bike when it was in production? Its hard to tell why they landed on 3/4 vs 1", but it could have just been a cost cutting measure.

    As the ridiculously handsome and smart Barrett commented, there are still some of the OE belts available from Harley. However, it would be nice to know if the 1" belt would work. I'm sure a cursory look over with a set of calipers should indicate whether the 1" belt will work or not.

    Hopefully the all-knowing jetlee will make an appearance soon and drop a knowledge bomb on us to set the record straight.


    Last edited by 34nineteen; 04-21-2022 at 08:18 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •