Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Blast belt

Looking at the rear sprocket and belt, it looks like there is more than enough room for a 1" belt.

blast.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    Looking at the rear sprocket and belt, it looks like there is more than enough room for a 1" belt.

blast.JPG
    Take a peek at the front pulley. I'm not sure it will fit. I'll pull the cover and measure it.

Quote Originally Posted by HDracerr View Post
    Take a peek at the front pulley. I'm not sure it will fit. I'll pull the cover and measure it.
    If the front pulley is the issue, this may not work. jetlee warned us that this could be an issue. I always thought it would be the rear pulley that was going to be the stopping point.

During my lunch break I wheeled the Blast out and pulled the front pulley cover off. Here is what I come up with.
    HD G0500.01A7 belt measures .716 or 18.2mm.
    Front pulley between the guides .850 or 21.5mm

Going off of that we can safely assume that the Drag/BDL belt WILL NOT WORK on a Blast.

I took a look at changing the front pulley to a 04-up XL pulley but the smallest one I can find is a 28T. So that wont work.

I have a rear wheel off a early Lightning sitting on a rack that would go nicely on this bike. I'll have to fire up the bandsaw and TIG and do a chain drive big wheel to this bad boy.

The 28t pulley would be fine if you used
    https://recs.richrelevance.com/rrser...nal-drive-belt

If that link doesn’t work then look at the one 34:19 posted and go to the bottom of the page you’ll find the 140T belt. If you have a front pulley the odds are good it would work.

1” wide and about $20 bucks cheaper. Post how much a 28t pulley runs I may do the same on my next belt replacement.
    Last edited by cvc; 04-25-2022 at 03:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HDracerr View Post
    During my lunch break I wheeled the Blast out and pulled the front pulley cover off. Here is what I come up with.
    HD G0500.01A7 belt measures .716 or 18.2mm.
    Front pulley between the guides .850 or 21.5mm

Going off of that we can safely assume that the Drag/BDL belt WILL NOT WORK on a Blast.

I took a look at changing the front pulley to a 04-up XL pulley but the smallest one I can find is a 28T. So that wont work.

I have a rear wheel off a early Lightning sitting on a rack that would go nicely on this bike. I'll have to fire up the bandsaw and TIG and do a chain drive big wheel to this bad boy.
    I think I may have a 27t XB front pulley.

Honestly, I usually am against a chain conversion, but if you have the skillset to convert the weird-o Blast rear pulley to a sprocket, I'd say to give-r-a-go. Even if it goes sideways, there are a bunch of Blast rear pulleys out there for sale on the cheap.

If anyone would know the details for certain, it would be jetlee, but I think he went to Skynyrd-fest with CoOter.

Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    I think I may have a 27t XB front pulley.

Honestly, I usually am against a chain conversion, but if you have the skillset to convert the weird-o Blast rear pulley to a sprocket, I'd say to give-r-a-go. Even if it goes sideways, there are a bunch of Blast rear pulleys out there for sale on the cheap.

If anyone would know the details for certain, it would be jetlee, but I think he went to Skynyrd-fest with CoOter.
    My thoughts are to cut off the end of the swingarm and tig in a Sportster or FXR swing arm end with the adjustable axle. The box size is the same so you just make a plug that fits inside the the tubing add a few rosette welds then finish welding it up. I've stretched a few swingarms this way. Then I would just use the Buell Lighting wheel I have so I can use a regular sprocket. The brake rotor is the same bolt pattern.
    The Lighting wheel I have came from a bike I turned into a drag bike. I extended the swingarm 6" and added in wheelie bar mounts. We changed out the wheel to run a 6" slick.

I don't NEED a drive belt but would like to purchase a spare.

Great. Here's the OEM part number-quantity left in active factory dealer system-specs for aftermarket-availability.

I believe I'm going to redesign the entire ass-end of this 34HP bike to fit my specific wants and needs.

This thread is the very essence of everything wrong with online motorcycle forums.

I was feeling the same. Part is available but a lot of mods will get the job done.... cheaper ? And it's still a Blast.

Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw View Post
    I was feeling the same. Part is available but a lot of mods will get the job done.... cheaper ? And it's still a Blast.
    I'd like to see this done. Sounds like he has the chops and the desire to get it done, so why not?

At least he's not talking about whittling a sprocket out of wood.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast