Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 06 Uly TPS reset

06 Uly TPS reset

Long time Buell owner here (since 1999) but all carbureted tube-frames. Bought my first XB12X a month ago and brought it back to life. (sort-of)
    I rebuilt the fuel pump due to a deteriorated strainer and broken hose between the pump/pressure regulator.
    Had both fuel injectors cleaned and flow-tested.
    Cleaned all grounds and added a few redundant ones.
    Changed all fluids, filters, and lubed all bearing, cables, pivot points.
    Had to chase down a short due to running light and finally got her running. Took it for a ride around the block and all was good.

In the meantime (while waiting for new exhaust straps to arrive before riding it very far) I thought it would be a good idea to reset the TPS.
    I used ECMSpy to connect to the test plug, went through all the steps to a "T" (5.5 degree throttle position) and now it will not stay running.
    It starts up and will run rough but only if I manipulate the throttle with back-firing and getting hot fast. (lean)
    I have tried going through the steps for TPS reset multiple time now and still have the same result...It ran/idled fine for the short test ride and multiple start ups in the garage prior to the TPS reset.
    On the chance that it might be bad, I just replaced the TPS sensor with a new one but am still having the same result with it. (a reset was done on it too)

If a TPS reset is done, does that rewrite the current setting in the ECU?
    Could I just go back and install my original downloaded EEPROM from ECMSpy? (from before the reset)
    Anyone ever have a similar issue before?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Please post the exact steps you took to re-set the TPS. Because it's running exactly like it was done improperly. Possibly you overlooked a step?
    Heres what the factory says:
    http://buellmods.com/content/downloa...ses_manual.pdf

Note: You're Uly is DDFI-2 ('03-'07) and resetting the TPS is different than the DDFI-3 ('08-up) bikes where the IAC makes things very simple.

Thanks for the reply!
    My steps were as follows:
    1. Connect and fetch EEPROM data from ECM using ECMSpy
    2. Click on the Execute button (this is to read live data)
    3. Turned the idle adjuster CCW until the voltage stopped dropping then an addition 2-turns (filter base was removed to verify it was not touching the throttle stop)
    4. Snapped throttle a few times to during idle adjust to ensure the butterfly was fully closed
    5. Click on "Reset TPS"
    6. Turned idle adjust until I was at 5.5 degrees. (target between 5.3/5.6)
    7. Started bike to warm up and adjust idle to 1050-1150 but would not stay running. I did try to adjust idle both ways to keep it running for warm up but no luck.

Hopefully I'm just overlooking something but the only difference I can see from my service manual/your online link (same) and ECMSpy is the software navigation.
    Gotta say the CV carbs are stupid simple compared to this for me.

Sir: CV style carbs are wonderful devices and simple, straight-forward fuel and air metering devices...but so is XB fuel injection. You simply missed a step, or transposed one of them. The below is absolutely CORRECT. Your procedure is simply wrong. You might have failed to confirm the reset via the YES tab.

Not mentioned but enhances accuracy:
    1-At room temp
    2-Remove headlight fuse during your Spy session
    3-Give battery constant 6-8 AMP charge during your Spy session
    4-Key to ON....kill switch to ON....do NOT start engine until final Spy step achieved

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i33__Qkvhn4

Great recommendation on pulling the headlight fuse & adding the charger during the process. I'm going to give it another try this afternoon and get back to you.
    I do not remember being prompted to click on a "yes tab". (Hopefully it's that simple)

No luck, I'm doing exactly as ECMSpy directions, video and *service manual describe. *(service manual uses digital technician with software navigation differences)
    1. Open up ECMSpy on Laptop
    2. Connect Cable from bike to laptop
    3. Turn ignition on then kill switch on
    4. Select connect to ECM (plug icon) from main menu
    5. Select ECM type (stock) then OK, current EEPROM saved
    6. Using the "Live & Log Data" tab selected "TPS reset tab"
    7. Select Execute Icon from Main menu tab (gear icon) to see live data
    8. Current setting is 5.5 degrees, snapped throttle to confirm its reading
    9. Turned idle adjust screw CCW until TPS voltage stopped going down (snapped throttle a couple times to confirm) TPS voltage stopped at .96 volts
    10. Selected "Reset TPS" button, pop up asked to "stop reading live data and perform TPS reset", I selected "OK"
    11. Another pop up says "TPS reset done, fetching run-time data will continue
    12. I then turn the idle adjust CC until a 5.5 degree setting is displayed and physically watched the butterfly open slightly.
    13. Snapped throttle to confirm it was staying at 5.5 degrees
    14. Proceeded to start bike and allow warm-up time before adjusting idle to 1050-1150

Bike will not stay running on its own. If I feather the throttle it continues to backfire through the exhaust/intake, get hot quickly, run very rough but never idle on its own.

Bike ran fine on first test ride and multiple garage start ups after the following repairs were made. No current or historical codes, battery voltage is 12.9, plugs & wires are new, fuel pump is new (48 PSI), injectors have been cleaned/flow tested, fresh gas, every ground has been sanded clean/redundant ones added, cleaned throttle body and all fluids/filters.
    I'm running out of ideas...I'm hesitant to do it but can the original EEProm from the first time I connected to the bike be sent back to the ECM using ECMspy? Then simply adjust the idle until it good? I dont want to brick my current ECM so I've held off on trying that.
    Anyone see a missed step/keystroke when during the reset?

Quote Originally Posted by Bueller x2 View Post
    No luck, I'm doing exactly as ECMSpy directions, video and *service manual describe. *(service manual uses digital technician with software navigation differences)
    1. Open up ECMSpy on Laptop
    2. Connect Cable from bike to laptop
    3. Turn ignition on then kill switch on
    4. Select connect to ECM (plug icon) from main menu
    5. Select ECM type (stock) then OK, current EEPROM saved
    6. Using the "Live & Log Data" tab selected "TPS reset tab"
    7. Select Execute Icon from Main menu tab (gear icon) to see live data
    8. Current setting is 5.5 degrees, snapped throttle to confirm its reading
    9. Turned idle adjust screw CCW until TPS voltage stopped going down (snapped throttle a couple times to confirm) TPS voltage stopped at .96 volts
    10. Selected "Reset TPS" button, pop up asked to "stop reading live data and perform TPS reset", I selected "OK"
    11. Another pop up says "TPS reset done, fetching run-time data will continue
    12. I then turn the idle adjust CC until a 5.5 degree setting is displayed and physically watched the butterfly open slightly.
    13. Snapped throttle to confirm it was staying at 5.5 degrees
    14. Proceeded to start bike and allow warm-up time before adjusting idle to 1050-1150

Bike will not stay running on its own. If I feather the throttle it continues to backfire through the exhaust/intake, get hot quickly, run very rough but never idle on its own.

Bike ran fine on first test ride and multiple garage start ups after the following repairs were made. No current or historical codes, battery voltage is 12.9, plugs & wires are new, fuel pump is new (48 PSI), injectors have been cleaned/flow tested, fresh gas, every ground has been sanded clean/redundant ones added, cleaned throttle body and all fluids/filters.
    I'm running out of ideas...I'm hesitant to do it but can the original EEProm from the first time I connected to the bike be sent back to the ECM using ECMspy? Then simply adjust the idle until it good? I dont want to brick my current ECM so I've held off on trying that.
    Anyone see a missed step/keystroke when during the reset?

You probably have leaking intake seals.

I am no ECM guru. All you're accomplishing with a correctly performed "TPS reset" is synchronizing the sensor set to its Zero-baseline, to what the ECM sees as same. You never zeroed-out your initial TPS setting. Baseline established at approx one. If I were performing this service, I'd check the TB butterfly and housing for condition...clean if required...add a bit of slack to the puller throttle cable...and perform the reset again. Have you checked something as simple as fouled spark plugs and a faulty connection between the coil and the coil wiring harness plug? Worth having a look at.
    Last edited by Barrett; 04-24-2022 at 10:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    You probably have leaking intake seals.
    I did perform a check on the intake seals during one of the garage start ups when it was running fine. At the time I was making sure the injector seals were set properly after having them cleaned/tested and thought I might as well test the intake seals too. All was good, no change in idle speed when sprayed.

Quote Originally Posted by Barrett View Post
    The qualifier is that I'm no ECM guru. All you're accomplishing with a correctly performed "TPS reset" is synchronizing the sensor set to its Zero-baseline to what the ECM sees as same. Your steps appear to have done that. Have you checked something as simple as fouled spark plugs and a faulty connection between the coil and the coil wiring harness plug? Worth having a look at.
    I was thinking it wouldn't hurt to double check the spark plug wire connections and make sure all were tight. Both cylinders are firing but maybe something is loose.
    I will also inspect the plugs to see if any are fouled. I understand the balance of the combustion triangle but with the backfiring/lean running I'm thinking its just not getting adequate fuel due to the TPS setting. If all checks out, thinking of trying a lower setting than 5.3 degrees to possibly gain more fuel as the throttle is turned. If that makes any sense?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast