Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 06 Uly TPS reset

Quote Originally Posted by Bueller x2 View Post
    I was thinking it wouldn't hurt to double check the spark plug wire connections and make sure all were tight. Both cylinders are firing but maybe something is loose.
    I will also inspect the plugs to see if any are fouled. I understand the balance of the combustion triangle but with the backfiring/lean running I'm thinking its just not getting adequate fuel due to the TPS setting. If all checks out, thinking of trying a lower setting than 5.3 degrees to possibly gain more fuel as the throttle is turned. If that makes any sense?
    Checked the plugs, still look new
    Checked plug wires, all were securely fastened along with the coil plug
    Tried resetting the TPS again (20-times now) and set idle angle at 4.1, it ran rough for 5-10 seconds so I reset back to 5.5 degrees
    I'll try to attached a screen shot of the live data after the most resent reset and stock map? Does anything look off?
    Should the AFV be adjusted since a new fuel pump was installed? If so, can that be done through ECMSpy?
    Anyone? Bueller...Bueller...Bueller Ecmspy overview.jpgECM map 4 24 2022.jpg
    Last edited by Bueller x2; 04-24-2022 at 10:00 PM.

Most f these guys are out riding on the weekends, give them a chance to see this.

Should the AFV be adjusted since a new fuel pump was installed?

Moot point

If so, can that be done through ECMSpy?

YES

For unknown reasons fuel is being pulled across-the-board open loop. Your symptoms indicate same. Reset AFV to 100

During all this, did you happen to cross the injector wires....and/or install the injectors onto the wrong cylinders? Easy mistake. Schematic for EFI plugs...injectors color coded designating F&R.

FRONT: Gray common----W/Y power
    REAR: Gray Common-----GN/GY power
    Last edited by Barrett; 04-25-2022 at 02:41 PM.

Thanks for sticking with me Barrett!
    When the I was tracking my electrical short. I pulled all the ignition loads and tested them at both ends. The injectors were one of those, me being my careful-self marked front/back with paint marker on the plugs. Additionally, prior to removal and reinstallation I quadruple checked the correct color for front/back injectors. Per your recommendation I checked the wire colors of the plug connectors again, and all is correct.
    Next, I connected ECMSpy to the bike to adjust the AFV value to 100% from the current 80.0. Using the 2.0 version it is done under the "O2 set-up" tab then "Calibration" tab. Then I burned the change to the ECU, started the bike and it didn't seem to run rich but still wouldn't stay running long enough to warm-up. I gave it 2-tries while feather the throttle but not big change. (TPS setting was 5.3 degrees and 1.19 volts)
    Then I thought why not and pulled my EEProm file from the first time I connected the bike to ECMSpy, burned it to the ECM and crossed my fingers....[B]The bike fired right up and[/B] idled! It was high at about 2grand (8.3 degree butterfly). I then checked the AFV setting on that map to see it was at 80.8%. So, I adjusted it to 100% and burned that change to the ECM.
    Now it starts and runs long enough to get up to temp but at 1/4 throttle it seems to load up a bit.
    Should I put it back together and ride it a bit to let ECM learn/adjust? (Open loop vs closed loop)
    Do I dare try another TPS reset?
    I really appreciate the help everyone, digital tunning is a learning curve for me. Thanks for your patience.

If you loaded a new tune, then yes you need to do a TPS reset. I'm currently going thru something similar and have been following the thread with a lot of interest.

My pleasure Sir. Since it now starts and idles and will accept throttle inputs...I would think the obvious choice is to take it for a sensible ride at moderate speeds and RPM's...then once returning, again check for any fault codes as well as your AFV number and adjust warm curb speed idle to approx 1000RPM. A warm idle speed significantly higher than this can cause a myriad of problems on all pre-2008 XB's. Brought you as far as I can on this as that's the extent of my limited ECM knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Barrett View Post
    My pleasure Sir. Since it now starts and idles and will accept throttle inputs...I would think the obvious choice is to take it for a sensible ride at moderate speeds and RPM's...then once returning, again check for any fault codes as well as your AFV number and adjust warm curb speed idle to approx 1000RPM. A warm idle speed significantly higher than this can cause a myriad of problems on all pre-2008 XB's. Brought you as far as I can on this as that's the extent of my limited ECM knowledge.
    Thank you, Sir!
    When I got home from work, I thew it back together and fired it up to go for a short ride. The initial idle was low during warm-up but I left it alone until it was warm enough to ride. Took off around the neighborhood at low speed/rpm to ease into mid rpm once it was fully warm. It had a few throttle body back-fires while rolling the throttle up slowly. Once warmed up at lower speeds, I left the neighborhood to cruise some backroads around 45-55mph. It seemed to do fine when rolling the throttle on, no more back-firing through the throttle body. Even stopped a few times to take off from a dead stop and gradually accelerating. All seemed fine but is hard to determine what's "normal" compared to my M2 that just begs for more throttle. Headed back home after about 20-min due to the low fuel light popped on. It was idling between 1000/1100 rpm on the tach when I pulled back into the garage so I left it alone.
    I will connect to the ECMSpy tomorrow to check AFV and digitally see exactly where my idle is. I am still puzzled as to why the initial TPS reset seems to have triggered all running issues. With the original EEProm being burned back in now, I'm not sure if I want to reset the TPS again. (even though that's what it calls for)...Worst case, I guess I do have an idea how to get back to where it currently is now if it did the same thing.
    I'll update as soon I get more info, in case anyone else may have a similar issue down the road.

Got home early tonight and plugged in to see where it was at.
    Bike was cold/not running
    AFV - 94.2% (was set at 100% prior to riding because new fuel pump was installed)
    TPS - 1.06 volts & 6.2 degree angle (didn't want to upset the neighbors so I didn't start to verify warm idle rpm)
    Still hesitant to mess with the TPS again. If 5.3-5.5 is the correct setting, should I be concerned or just ride it and see how the bike performs?
    Definitely will keep an eye on the plugs.
    Last edited by Bueller x2; 04-27-2022 at 01:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bueller x2 View Post
    Got home early tonight and plugged in to see where it was at.
    Bike was cold/not running
    AFV - 94.2% (was set at 100% prior to riding because new fuel pump was installed)
    TPS - 1.06 volts & 6.2 degree angle (didn't want to upset the neighbors so I didn't start to verify warm idle rpm)
    Still hesitant to mess with the TPS again. If 5.3-5.5 is the correct setting, should I be concerned or just ride it and see how the bike performs?
    Definitely will keep an eye on the plugs.
    Still hesitant to mess with the TPS again. If 5.3-5.5 is the correct setting

Completely unrelated.

I have exactly the same problem on my 2006 Uly. Started out as an intermittent loss of power over half throttle which I made worse by working on it. I've replaced the fuel, intake gaskets, TPS, coil, plugs and wires. Performed the same procedure using ECM spy countless times. It will idle (but crappy) but stalls as soon as I touch the throttle. Going to check fuel pressure next.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast