Thread: RPM does not work

RPM does not work

Hello,

Good day. I have an 06 Xb12 Ulysses.
    Today I noticed that the RPM does not read. When I switch key position to on. I get the early sweep. Both RPM and Speedo sweeps to the right. However after starting the bike. The RPM does not read. It stays at zero. What could be wrong.

Thank You

Quote Originally Posted by samuelseggs View Post
    Hello,

Good day. I have an 06 Xb12 Ulysses.
    Today I noticed that the RPM does not read. When I switch key position to on. I get the early sweep. Both RPM and Speedo sweeps to the right. However after starting the bike. The RPM does not read. It stays at zero. What could be wrong.

Thank You
    There should be a wire that runs from the ECM to the tach. I forget the color, but you should be able to see it on a wiring diagram found in a free downloadable service manual from buellmods.com

Thank you very much. I noticed if I turn the handle to the left... The gauge works again. Could it be a loose wire at the handle bar?

Quote Originally Posted by samuelseggs View Post
    Thank you very much. I noticed if I turn the handle to the left... The gauge works again. Could it be a loose wire at the handle bar?
    or a damaged wire in the harness, probably near the steering head.

While you're rummaging around under the nose fairing, disconnect the ground leads from the steering neck (Ground #4) and inspect them for corrosion, breaks or other damage. That's a common trouble spot - not necessarily your issue, but a good check regardless.

I have cleaned out the grounds at the steering neck but still not working perfectly. I will have to read through the manuals

Do this from post #2

Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    There should be a wire that runs from the ECM to the tach. I forget the color, but you should be able to see it on a wiring diagram found in a free downloadable service manual from buellmods.com