Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Not able to read oil level

Quote Originally Posted by DieterVonCunth View Post
    bike got 2,4 litres of oil in it, if i add more the oil foams and pour out of the swingarm.
    Adding more oil is a dumb thing to do and VERY bad for the engine. How is it pouring out of the same hole you say the dipstick is dry

Do what Outlaw said and don't assume you know how. RTFM and follow EVERY step. If your engine is wet pumping this is important and why the manual is written this way.

If the oil pressure light goes out when running, you have oil pressure. Since you have dicked around with the oil level all willy nilly, now you have to drain it all and add back the EXACT amount the manual recommends. Then you are done because you can't figure out a dipstick.

Man, I go away for a short time and this is what happens??

Then digest the below. Same deal.

https://www.buellxb.com/forum/showth...362#post633362

I had just stored the bike over the seventh month winter we have up here and the oil had disappeared or moved in to the crankcase or wtf ever it gone, so why are you guys acting like a donkey ass towards e for asking a question ❓

Barret, thank you for solving this problem for me. Don't know what i would have done without you.

Quote Originally Posted by DieterVonCunth View Post
    Barret, thank you for solving this problem for me. Don't know what i would have done without you.

My pleasure Sir. Seeing more of this as these bikes continue to age. Simply a matter of "wet sumping" during storage or extended intervals of non-riding. Chapter 3 of the SM shows in detail your complete oiling system and visually, how this may occur, but I don't believe it addresses it. I recommend to those who, for whatever reason, have to store these XB's for extended periods where they won't be started and ridden, to completely drain the oil from the swingarm and save it. TAPE a simple note to the ignition switch stating"NO OIL", then refill when putting back into active service. Eliminates this headache.

Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    Yes, sounds like the engine is “wet sumping”
    Quote Originally Posted by DamMechanic View Post
    Have you tried leaving the dipstick out while the bike is running?
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw View Post
    start over with a fresh oil and filter change.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    your engine is wet pumping this is important and why the manual is written this way.
    You are welcome Dieter. Every one of the FIVE responses you received were correct. We all are just so happy you appreciate the group effort to help you and will be super happy to do it again.

👍🏻

Sometimes good meaning teasing comes across pointed in text.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12