Thread: Cooling fan

Cooling fan

Hi

Just bought a XB9SX from 2008.
    Have a problem with the fan and don’t think its running right. The fan starts when driving at speed over 20-25km/t. When coming to back below this speed the fan stops.

The bike has Twin tuner installed?

Anyone have some experience with this?

Oilhead, Norway

Most tunes adjust the fan settings as well. You can change fan settings using something like Buelltooth.

That is the "Speed Based Fan Control" option that can be toggled on or off using a program like ECMSpy, TunerPro, Or ECMDroid. I hate it too. It's noisy, wears out the fan prematurely (and pointless IMO).

If you want to change something that simple I would recommend a simple to use program like ECMDroid. You can find it for free in the GooglePlay store. It connects to the bike to your Android phone or tablet using a Bluetooth connection that plugs into the data port of your Buell next to the battery. If there isn't one plugged in there already you'll need to purchase one. They are inexpensive, I like the Buelltooth dongle I got from Rev-Mo.com. You will find more detailed instructions there.

In ECMDroid it is under ECMParameters/Fan. You can uncheck the box and set different on/off temps as well.

Thank you for god answer.
    I have to change the settings. Fan runningfor full when cruising in 80km/h, and 6 celsius. That’s not right in my head.

Great, now he's really going to think he's God !

What is the temperature needed to start cooling fan for XB's in celsius or fahrenheit and the same for when it needs to shut off? With the BUELLTOOTH through REVISION MOTO
    in their tutorial under fan set up they show on 220 C which is 450 Fahrenheit and off at 200 C. With key on they show 180 C off.
    Last edited by MOTORCYCLES247; 05-24-2022 at 12:55 AM.

Your question is posed like you are questioning the temps being higher than you think they should be. You should know your Buell does not have a radiator and as such will not have the tight temp control that the water cooled engine in your daily driver car does.

An air cooled engine is designed to run well over a much broader temperature range. Want to have sciency fun? Look at the Limits page under ECM Parameters to see what temps that electronic intervention begins. This ain't built like a Kia.

Yes I was questioning the temps in part to other members mentioning when and how long there fan would run which I do not have any problems with but when I checked to see what my 04 12R was showing as well I was seeing if I wanted to change my permeators just to experiment. This also being the one and only motorcycle I have ever owned that has a cooling fan and in particular just for the rear cylinder as well. I cant even think of any motorcycle manufacture for 2,3,4,or 6 cylinders 4 stroke street bike air cooled that has a fan system on it. So we as Buellers really are COOL people.....