Thread: Do You Carry a Spare Belt

Do You Carry a Spare Belt

So my Uly has Touratech pannier racks and boxes big enough to swallow two full face helmets and jackets. That is great on multi day rides but it’s overkill for most.

Under the seat I carry everything I need to fix a flat tire and tools to replace a belt if needed plus some spare relays and fuses. But for most of my riding I don’t need the boxes. This time of years it starts getting light out at 04:30. I can bang out a 300 to 400 mile spirted motorcycle ride and be home by noon to do my chores for the day.

I have been thinking of taking the racks off when not needed. To me if the boxes are not on the racks the bike looks like the most beautiful girl in the world with a bad set of braces.

So most of my riding is in some remote areas so if a belt broke it could be many, many hours plus expense before I could get back home.

I was looking at making a mount to store a belt under the tail section where the racks bolt on. Am I just over concerned?

It would be SUPER rare to have an issue on a part that doesn't even have a replacement interval (although 50,000 seems to be the typical replacement mileage), but that said... I'm a boyscout wanna-be so sure, why not? If you have the room, I would keep it in a bag to protect from weather and UV though.

The only reason for you ^^^^^^^^^^^ to carry an extra belt would be because you rode up North to that pie place once too often.

Yep NJ! It was my Marionberry addiction that had me waking up at the Grand Canyon and seeing a couple missing teeth on my belt. Concerning? Yes, but I finished the rest of the 1500 mile trip anyway
    Try THAT with a chain!

Carrying spare parts is never a "bad idea" and typically rewards with peace-of-mind. If you pursue this spare belt idea, store a decent USED one in your proposed onboard container. A factory fresh new one stored in such a manner will absolutely fail.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    Yep NJ! It was my Marionberry addiction
    Weirdo

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marion_Barry

I remember that Crack head

When riding cross country I didn't carry an extra belt, but what I did was have a spare at home. I let my wife know where to find any of my parts. If I needed anything I could have her overnight anything I might need.

Fastenal carries a bearing in stock thats the same as Buell wheel bearings. A bearing. You need to find TWO Fastenals to get a pair of bearings. They aren't close together in Montana.

Stories aside Amazon Prime delivers to crappy motels too. Food for thought if you need a maintenance type part and I know Barrett will be my first call if I ever smoke a fuel pump on the road

IMHO, getting through a breakdown of any kind is 98% creative thinking. Prep helps considerably, but it's impossible to get it perfect, and debilitating if over done.