Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21

Thread: New to me 08 XB12ss tuning

  1. #11
    Senior Member Cooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Crawling up your skirt
    Posts
    10,053
    But don't the tunes you find for free on the internet fix EVERYTHING?!?

  2. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2022
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    But don't the tunes you find for free on the internet fix EVERYTHING?!?
    Thank you all for all of the useful input. after a few runs with the K&N I notice a sputter at the WOT thresh hold so I will just send it out and have a professional do it.

  3. #13
    Senior Member Cooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Crawling up your skirt
    Posts
    10,053
    IMO, I would diagnose the problem and fix the problem before I spend money on a tune.

    Look at fuel pressure under load. (49psi). Common for a clogged fuel filter or worn pump on a 14 year old motorcycle.

  4. #14
    Senior Member mriulvr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Crowley, TX
    Posts
    322
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    But don't the tunes you find for free on the internet fix EVERYTHING?!?
    And make your hair thicker, waistline smaller, memory better, teeth whiter, and your wife will like it too.

  5. #15
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2022
    Posts
    7
    big shout out to my internet found tune, runs like a beast 1500miles so far. it does idle a bit low when cold and if I let it idle for like 30 seconds it will sometimes stall. no issues at all after warm.

  6. #16
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2022
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    IMO, I would diagnose the problem and fix the problem before I spend money on a tune.

    Look at fuel pressure under load. (49psi). Common for a clogged fuel filter or worn pump on a 14 year old motorcycle.
    so stock ECM should compensate 100% for K&N and D&N exhaust and run 100%?

  7. #17
    Senior Member Cooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Crawling up your skirt
    Posts
    10,053
    Quote Originally Posted by e1bandit0 View Post
    so stock ECM should compensate 100% for K&N and D&N exhaust and run 100%?
    The arguable but honest answer is yes. But are you trying to be all Facebook snarky because without a single bit of diagnosis or skill, you 'might' have got lucky?

    Both AFV and EGO on a stock fuel map have plenty of range for automatic adjustment to compensate for those minor mods given a small amount of learning riding. The more complicated answer (that you won't understand anyway) is that it's still better to get a specific tuned ECM because the resolution is **** on these, so it's better to have an OL map closer to what it needs instead of a global correction to the stock map.

    I say "might" because you could just be masking whats really wrong with your bike and causing it bigger and more expensive problems in the near future. But you'll never check anyway, so good luck getting help again Mr. Snarkypants.

  8. #18
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2022
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    The arguable but honest answer is yes. But are you trying to be all Facebook snarky because without a single bit of diagnosis or skill, you 'might' have got lucky?

    Both AFV and EGO on a stock fuel map have plenty of range for automatic adjustment to compensate for those minor mods given a small amount of learning riding. The more complicated answer (that you won't understand anyway) is that it's still better to get a specific tuned ECM because the resolution is **** on these, so it's better to have an OL map closer to what it needs instead of a global correction to the stock map.

    I say "might" because you could just be masking whats really wrong with your bike and causing it bigger and more expensive problems in the near future. But you'll never check anyway, so good luck getting help again Mr. Snarkypants.
    I thought that was a legit question. I thought that the reason people put a tune on it in the first place was to reap the benefits of the increased airflow. thanks for the assumptions on my maintenance procedures.

  9. #19
    Senior Member Cooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Crawling up your skirt
    Posts
    10,053
    Was it? lol.
    Yes, people do tune for performance. You put a mystery tune on to 'fix' your bike from running poorly. See the difference? Would you do that to your car? "Hmm, the Kia started to run a little wonky yesterday, just get a new ECM!".

    After adding an air filter and exhaust to a stock ECM, a Buell should still run well. Just like your Kia would.
    Popping through the exhaust on decel does NOT mean the bike is running lean all the time. Internet old wives tale thats been propagated for years.
    Anytime the ECM is in Closed Loop (98% of the time) it is adjusting for stoic 14.7/1. No matter what air filter/exhaust you have and NO matter what 'tune' is in it
    You need to ride the bike normally for at least 20 miles for any tune to be able to adjust to your bike and your conditions. Like elevation, humidity, maintenance, etc. Sounds like you downloaded a 'free' mystery tune, took it for a rip, and called it good. AmIright?
    You will not be able to tell a 20hp difference by 'butt-dyno' much less the realistic 2-4hp difference available with a proper tune.

    I'm glad you're happy with the result of your total shot-in-the-dark guess, and I hope your lack of any sort of diagnosis isn't causing you further issues.
    Last edited by Cooter; 07-10-2022 at 06:56 PM.

  10. #20
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2022
    Posts
    7
    It wasn't running poorly before I put the tune on it. I was just looking for that little extra. it did feel flatter between 2k-4k that's where I notice improvement most from the tune. I didn't blindly put the tune on it also, I did a lot of studying and have decent mechanical skills. I admit I may have worded things as a wink wink to the internet solves everything comments. Cheers! sorry if I offended.



Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •