Thread: Buell xb9 chop

Buell xb9 chop

Hi all. Just bought a chop with a suspected xb9 engine in it. It has been converted to carb and that’s all I know about the engine. Does anyone know what I need to do electrically (have original loom and pick ups) to get this to work?
    Will be trimming the wiring down to a minimum if anyone has a minimum loom diagram.

Thanks for your help

Quote Originally Posted by Imanutter View Post
    Hi all. Just bought a chop with a suspected xb9 engine in it. It has been converted to carb and that’s all I know about the engine. Does anyone know what I need to do electrically (have original loom and pick ups) to get this to work?
    Will be trimming the wiring down to a minimum if anyone has a minimum loom diagram.

Thanks for your help
    Are you sure its an XB motor? XB's use a different mounting setup that is unique to only the XB frame. So unless you have a frame designed to fit an XB motor (like a Bottpower or Ludwigsen), its probably just a Sportster motor.

If its been converted to carb, you're probably better off just converting it to an older Sportster style ignition, unless the XB motor is from a 08-10, which it going to make things a hot mess.

My darn crystal ball is on the fritz again

You have looked at the engine. We haven't. So.....how about some pics? Clear. Close up. Like you want someone to see the details through the bong smoke.
    How about an engine number? I'll type it into Google for you so I seem like I know everything.
    How about the tiniest amount information possible to help strangers on the internet HELP YOU?

Typically choppers will use a Sportster engine and put the better Buell parts on it, like the heads and such. But 34:19 is right, a Buell XB engine is easy to spot.
    Buellmods.com for a wiring diagram, and engine number decode (or Google). But it will only confuse you because you aren't running ANYthing from it.

BUT, since it's converted to carb, I bet the CPS will be converted to coils fire the coil directly, not using the ECM. Follow the wires coming from the rights side case cover. there should be a little box.
    Assuming a ton about the guys that build choppers, this will be easy.
    The coil should have a 3-wire input.
    Ignition power to the center wire (coil +), the other wires are the coil (-) that fire each cylinder.

The single wire sensor by the oil filter is for the oil light, it grounds to turn the light on.

The single wire sensor but the transmission output is the neutral light, it grounds to turn the light on.

The only other wires on the engine are the 3 stator wires coming from the clutch side. They go to the Voltage Regulator. They're all the same color because it doesn't matter what order, if you don't have a VR, you will have to ID the year of the engine to know what VR to use, or look at the stator. If you have a VR that came with this basket case, those 3 wires go to the VR, the other 2 wires on the VR go to the battery (+ and -). Charging system done.

The starter has a big stud that goes straight to the battery, and a small spade plug that gets (+) to crank the engine over. Starting system done.

If you find out whats you bought, it will help me be clearer.

"Your answers can only be as good as your questions"

image0.jpegimage1.jpegimage3.jpegimage4.jpegimage5.jpeg

sorry for not adding pics (finding it difficult on the phone) this is how i picked it up nothing on the engine apart from the carb. its in a redneck chopper frame.

than you again for your help. and sorry if im not massively helping myself with this but its my first build of this type

Well, that is an XB motor, and luckily for you an earlier model. I would recommend looking into replacing the cam sensor with a Sportster unit and using a Sportster (or aftermarket) ignition module. I'd imagine there are aftermarket Sportster harnesses out there that can suit you better than trying to "de-wire" an XB harness. Also, the XB cam sensor talks directly to the ECM, and its an expensive piece as well. A Sportster cam sensor is relatively inexpensive and probably lends itself to a custom application better. If you really want to clean it up, maybe use a nosecone ignition module like the some of the later Sportsters did right before they went to a crank fired ignition. The earlier Buell M2's, S2's and S1's all used a Sportster ignition system and they made good power. If you choose to go the Sportster route, dont forget to remove the XB timing cup and replace with a Sportster one.

I dont know how to easily identify a 9 from a 12, as the main differences are the crankset and the the primary gearing. If you pull the primary cover off and count the teeth on the front sprocket, a XB9 came with 34 and the 12 came with 38. However, these can are interchangeable and can be swapped out. I'd imagine at this point in the build, they probably left the stock gearing in place.

It is a cool looking bike especially in that last pic, but it also looks like a pretty rough ride. Have fun with the build!

Here is a link to a bike very similar to yours.

https://www.harley-davidsonforums.co...ads/mutant.90/

Lastly, if you are missing the clutch and primary chain inspection covers, I have a pair for sale on here on the cheap.

https://www.buellxb.com/forum/showth...l=1#post633808
    Last edited by 34nineteen; 06-14-2022 at 07:33 PM.

Red Neck built or builds Buell specific frames even for the Blast. I have a Firebolt frame if you want to fix it

Engine Manufacturing Number reveals

Originally installed in XB-R Firebolt model
    Manufactured at Pilgrim Road Menomonee Falls engine facility
    Sequence indicates somewhere between mid 2003 and late 2004 production run
    I don't have access this morning to EIN archives for displacement
    Simply measure the stroke: APPROX 79MM=984cc............APPROX 97MM=1203cc

You're welcome.