Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: piston rings

Well, I took the bike out for a ride for the first time.

Cooter you were right, I did exactly as I wanted. BUT, thanks to you all I did have the opinions to help my research and make a (what I think) is an informed decision. 34, I took your hammer performance info and did the heat cycle as they suggested. After that initial round, I took Barretts advice on seating the rings in his break in post.

You all have been a big help.

I thought I'd show you the back story of this project:

A while back the bike and I were involved in a rather high speed low side.
    buell 3.jpg

So I left the bike be for a while and I got the itch again. Here's what it looks like today:
    buell 2.jpg

The observant eye will see that it is a lightning with a fire bolt tail.

So anyway, thanks everyone and I'm back on the road.

Ouch that thing was messed up. Guess your both ok now. Looks much much better.

Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    A guy installs a rotary engine in his Buell....

Dont think I'm not stalking you.
    What about a Polaris 2-stroke twin, complete with the awful CVT?

Glad you got it up and running again

ya the bike took more of a beating than me. I skidded down the road on my face, and I'm glad I had full leathers on.. but I think the buell might have taken some tumbles into the ditch. But I'm not sure. All I know is that it was basket case.

Well, got 50 + miles on the bike so far but I do notice that it vibrates much more that before I did the gasket/rings work. It idles fine, pulls hard but MUCH more engine vibration than before the surgery. The motor sounds good. I used the old spark plus as they only had about 400 miles on them and looked good.

I did notice that the fan stayed on much longer when I shut the bike off on the initial ride, but I chalked that up to more friction in the cylinders. When I got back today from a 28 mile ride, the fan stayed on for about 2 minutes this time.

I'm wondering if I did something wrong when I rotated the motor back up into the bike.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyB View Post
    Well, got 50 + miles on the bike so far but I do notice that it vibrates much more that before I did the gasket/rings work. It idles fine, pulls hard but MUCH more engine vibration than before the surgery. The motor sounds good. I used the old spark plus as they only had about 400 miles on them and looked good.

I did notice that the fan stayed on much longer when I shut the bike off on the initial ride, but I chalked that up to more friction in the cylinders. When I got back today from a 28 mile ride, the fan stayed on for about 2 minutes this time.

I'm wondering if I did something wrong when I rotated the motor back up into the bike.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
    Check your front motor mount. There should be a gap between the bolt head and the mount. Figure 2-8 in the manual is kind of a bad pic, but you'll get the idea.

Also did you re-torque the rear mount bolt? The long bolt that goes sideways through the mount that is hidden by the RH footpeg/brake mount.

And verify you have all 3 struts attached. There is one by the rear motor mount that can be easy to miss. The front and top ones are easy to see.

And one last thing... since your bike was wrecked, check the mounting points on the rear mount where it bolts to the engine. I've seen those crack around the 4 mounting points where it attaches to the engine. Its going to be a pain to check, and even more of a pain to replace as you will need to remove the frame to get to that mount.
    Last edited by 34nineteen; 07-15-2022 at 03:08 PM.

I checked and there is a gap.

Also, I did run a buelltooth code scan and there were no current errors but there were two in the stored errors, 15 and 21. I checked the muffler valve and it does seem stuck (stuck closed)... I'll deal with that. The bikes check engine light (or whatever it's called) has not come on either time I took it out. The code 15 said air temp too high/short to ground. I'm not sure if any of this has anything to do with the engine vibration.
    Last edited by BuddyB; 07-15-2022 at 03:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyB View Post
    Also, I did run a buelltooth code scan and there were no current errors but there were two in the stored errors, 15 and 21. I checked the muffler valve and it does seem stuck (stuck closed)... I'll deal with that. The bikes check engine light (or whatever it's called) has not come on either time I took it out. The code 15 said air temp too high/short to ground. I'm not sure if any of this has anything to do with the engine vibration.
    Probably not, as you said the motor was running strong.

You can turn off the muffler valve function in ECMSpy or ECMDroid to eliminate that error code until you resolve the valve. I would clear the codes and try again and see if the other error returns. It could be something historic from when the bike was crashed or apart.

I'd recommend checking the rear mount before you go much further. If it is broken, its going to break other parts until you resolve it, and that mount does break in crashes. Look at the flange where it mounts to the engine case with 4 bolts.

Also double check to make sure the front mount bolts to the head are holding torque and that the mounting points on the head arent cracked or broken. I found that out the hard way when I bought my last XB and once I removed the mount, I could then see the head was junk.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast