Thread: The engine shuts off during the ride

The engine shuts off during the ride

Hello

I have a Buell XB9SX 2008.
    In the last month, it has happened to me several times that the engine shuts off during the ride.
    It happened both at high speed and at low. Both at high and low rpm.
    After I stopped, pressing the starter, there is noise but the engine does not turn on.
    After switching off and switching on again, the engine starts immediately, and I continue driving without any problems.
    In ECM DROID application does not appear error (also not stored error).
    Where can there be a problem?

Thank you

Sir: This scenario is becoming more frequent as these bikes continue to age. In all probability, it's an electrical gremlin causing an intermittent loss of power to 1 or more critical components. Performing the below simple maintenance procedures should resolve it. Avoid switching around fuses and relays to other circuits. That typically just moves the problem from one circuit to another.
    All your fuses and 3 relays located in main box under seat on all CityX models. Fuses are a few cents each...relays are $6 each at either H-D dealerships or local auto parts store. They cross-over to popular Chrysler and Ford A/C relays. Match yours up accordingly.

1-Disconnect both battery cables. Thoroughly clean both battery terminals and cable ends. Momentarily touch both cable ends together...hold for 5 seconds...release...then reconnect to correct battery terminals.
    2-Spray Kano Kroil or similar cleaner/solvent/lubricant into ignition switch and work back and forth.
    3-"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" """""""""""" kill switch assembly and work back and forth.
    4-Accessing fuse box....remove and discard the following fuses: KEY SWITCH-IGNITION-FUEL PUMP. Thoroughly clean the female sockets of each and replace with new fuses.
    5-If included in intermittent power loss is dead gauge/dash cluster....then replace KEY SWITCH RELAY first.
    6-If not, then simply replace IGNITION relay.

Ride and see if problem resolved and report back. Helps other board members.

Hello
    I have not yet replaced the relays.
    This is what happened to me when I did a recording with BUELLTOOTH and ECMDroid .
    In sample ~ 30 I pressed starter, the engine turned on, the rpm went up (in the graph rpm divided by 1000) and also spark1 (and also spark2) went up from 0.
    The engine shuts off at sample ~90.
    In samples 145 and 160 I pressed the starter twice, but the engine did not turn on.
    While I pressed the starter, you can see that the RPM went up, but the spark1 and spark2 remained at 0.
    Does this seem to indicate an ignition problem?
    After moving KILL SWITCH to OFF and ON and press start, The engine turn on.
    Thank you
    ECMdroid.jpeg

Thats nice.

Now do what Barrett said. ALL of it.

Hello
    I did all the steps except replacing the relays (I have not received the relays yet - I do not live in the USA..),
    but I switched between ignition relay and AUX relay, and between KEY SWITCH relay and START relay.
    I still have the problem.
    It even happened to me after a few seconds of turning on the engine, with no ride at all.
    All the lights are on, the starter makes a noise but the engine does not turn on.
    After moving KILL SWITCH to OFF and ON and press start, The engine turn on.
    Could it still be the relays or is there something else?
    Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Barrett View Post
    Hello
    You either didn't read a single word of sage advice I was kind enough to post up for you....or didn't comprehend any of it. Relays and "kill switch" come to mind.
    Thank you
    First of all, thanks for your detailed response.
    I read everything you wrote, and did sections 1-4, including a cleaner spray on the kill switch, ignition switch and the female sockets of the fuses and relays.
    Because I still do not have new relays, I switched between 2 relays.
    I thought it might help to get where the problem came from.
    Thank you