Thread: Roadrace XB9S against the SV650 (etc) in lightweight class?

Hybrid View

Roadrace XB9S against the SV650 (etc) in lightweight class?

Hello,

I bought a 2003 XB9 Lightning a few months ago. I use it mainly for commuting and am really liking the bike.

Back in the 90's I used to roadrace jap 600cc inline 4's, this is my 1st v-twin of any kind.

I am thinking about doing 1 race per year at Brainerd Int Raceway. I would have to enter lightweight superbike, and would be racing against mainly Suzuki SV650's. The track configuration that I'd be racing on is the competition course, which is 2.5 miles long, with turn 2 being the fastest corner. Back when I raced jap 600's, I remember aiming to enter turn 2 at 130, slowing down from going through turn 1 at 155 - on the speedo.

I have had my xb up to 130 and it seemed to have a little more, but that was about it.

Do you think that the SV's will embarrass me? I was an expert racer back in 1997, but would be entering novice class these days.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sure! If you prep it right it will take the abuse no problem, so have fun with the bike you own. You won't be going 155mph on a 20 year old 900 twin, but you'll have a really fun time

Last edited by Cooter; 06-25-2022 at 05:16 AM.

Nice pics! Where were you riding, what bikes?

That's me on my EBR and my Bubbles on her very first bike ever only 2.5 years ago, a Blast! Loudest bike on the track that day In So Cal mostly, Chuckwalla, Buttonwillow, Willow Springs... this year we are racing the CRA series but missing the Laguna Seca date in Monterey right NOW because of work

You could say she's come long way!

Not any racing, or even track days news goes on here, check out forums.13x.com for racing news and info (WERA), and the best racebike for sale section I've found http://forums.13x.com/index.php?foru...s-for-sale.48/. It's sort of like here with a bunch of characters, knowledge. and a whole lotta snark

You could just pick up a SV650 racer for $2-$3k and use it, leaving your Buell in street trim. Just sayin' Buells do get a lot of love in the Paddock though

IMO, you should definitely do a couple track days first. Shake off the rust and see what the bike needs. Please Lord don't bother with a "tune", but make sure it runs well (ECMDroid is free on Googleplay). Simple because of it's age, you'll be replacing the belt, steering head bearings, wheel bearings, re-building the forks and the master cyl, so maybe upgrade to the ZTL-2? Brembo makes a "SC" (not SA) compound that really wakes up the front end, and today any decent, fresh, street tire is more than capable for a the track day pace you'd be going on that. No need for $uperCorsas, lol.

Heres me in PBIR (So. Florida) on my 1125CR a long time ago when we used to do Buell calendars here
    Last edited by Cooter; 06-25-2022 at 05:43 PM.

NICE! That is awesome.

I will check out that forum - thanks for all of the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    Not any racing, or even track days news goes on here, check out forums.13x.com for racing news and info (WERA), and the best racebike for sale section I've found http://forums.13x.com/index.php?foru...s-for-sale.48/. It's sort of like here with a bunch of characters, knowledge. and a whole lotta snark
    Hey - I just wanted to thank you again for telling me about the above forum. I haven't posted there, but have joined and really enjoy reading what the others post. Lots of like minded riders in that group.

No worries, I appreciate helping a fellow rider. There is a LOT of help to get you back into racing. I'm Cooter over there too. Join up and say Hi!

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    No worries, I appreciate helping a fellow rider. There is a LOT of help to get you back into racing. I'm Cooter over there too. Join up and say Hi!
    Will do. There are a couple of posters on that site that I may have raced with back when dirt was young.

Sir: Non-active board member Wally Bakely aka WickedChop...would be able to answer any questions you might have regarding the tracking of both the XB9 and the SV650. He's one of the premier amateur east coast road racers and class champion at New Jersey Motorsports Park. He campaigned both models and knows them inside out. If you'd like to reach out to him, I can put you in touch.

Quote Originally Posted by Barrett View Post
    Sir: Non-active board member Wally Bakely aka WickedChop...would be able to answer any questions you might have regarding the tracking of both the XB9 and the SV650. He's one of the premier amateur east coast road racers and class champion at New Jersey Motorsports Park. He campaigned both models and knows them inside out. If you'd like to reach out to him, I can put you in touch.
    Thanks for the offer, but lets not bother him. I may do as Cooter suggested and buy a cheap beater to track, and keep my XB as a fun commuter.