Thread: Do you want a Buell?

Do you want a Buell?

Well I've had my 07 XB9R for 14 months now. So far I've put 1137 miles on it. Not a lot but enough to know I like this bike. I've kinda wanted a Buell since around 2004 when I became aware of its engineering aspects. I liked Erik Buell's thinking and I like that it is just a bit different in a good way. I remember going to my local Harley dealer and sitting on a few including a Ulysses. But I didn't act on my interest. Some years later I saw a guy get on one in a parking lot and the interest returned. A few years later I found a very nice 07 CityX at a dealer and took it for a test ride. I was impressed with the instant torque right off idle. But they wanted too much for it so I passed. Well, three Hondas later I got one. I was right on the edge about making a decision to get it. I even told the seller I decided no. I already had three really nice Hondas (71 SL350, 75 CB400F and 79 CBX). I thought about it that night and decided if I didn't do the deal then, I probably never would. So the next day I called the seller and told him I changed my mind. A short test ride later and I was hooked.

My Buell focus was the Lightning as I thought the Firebolt with its more aggressive riding position would be less comfortable. Well I was wrong. I find the Firebolt very comfortable and I like the sports bike riding position. I sometimes look at the upright riding position that seems so popular in the U.S. and wonder why it's so desirable. To me it is like sitting on a chair at the diner table. Other than my SL350, all my bikes are sports types. My CBX even has the Sports Kit. I naturally have to compare the Buell with the CBX. They both are plenty fast/quick for me but they are quite different. The CBX is so damn cool and sounds so good but it is noticeably heavier with a higher center of gravity. I find that I have to think or concentrate a little bit more with it than the Buell. The Buell just goes wherever I want it to go.

So if there is someone out there reading this and trying to make a similar decision, get the Buell! And unless you have physical issues, don't sweat the Lightning/Firebolt riding position question. And no I'm not saying any of this because I want to make the bike more popular and then have its value increase, haha. Doesn't matter to me because I'm never selling mine. How many times have you heard someone say they used to have a Model X-something but they sold it and regretted it ever since. I probably am biked out now although an MV Agusta F4 would be "interesting". It is a great piece of Italian art. I've learned that you can't have too many bikes. There are some local guys who have over 30 bikes. I'm sure you all know the formula Bikes = N+1. YMMV...

The only flaw to your story is that most people who buy a Buell do so because it was a cheap 1200cc sport bike. On top of that most should be allowed near tools and need a shop to take care of the bike. Once they also realize that most motorcycle shops don’t want to touch a Buell and most of the ones that are willing to, shouldn’t be.

Once those realities hit home, most realize buying a Buell was a bad bad idea, and that Ninja 400 or CBR500 is a much better bet.

You should let him expouse the benefits of #BuellLyfe and make them become so collectible that even the pile of 30 half-assembled Buells in your backyard become more valuable.

Happy Sunday!

30 in the back yard!? That's where they all went? As for repairs, I can't imagine not being able to handle most myself. Probably goes without saying but I guess I'll say it, if you can't make most repairs yourself, get a new bike under warranty. Nothing wrong with that. I just like a little adventure. I repair the electronics in Tesla cars & would never consider one not under warranty. Oh, and my intended audience was not someone who wanted a cheap 1200cc sport bike. They don't need to read anything I wrote. But I get your point. Hey Cooter, suppose 34 just wants to keep the price down so he can get another 30? <g>

He spends his nights cruising Indian reservations and inner city ghettos for disassembled Buells ready to make a deal someone can't refuse.

Quote Originally Posted by ksquare View Post
    30 in the back yard!? That's where they all went? As for repairs, I can't imagine not being able to handle most myself. Probably goes without saying but I guess I'll say it, if you can't make most repairs yourself, get a new bike under warranty. Nothing wrong with that. I just like a little adventure. I repair the electronics in Tesla cars & would never consider one not under warranty. Oh, and my intended audience was not someone who wanted a cheap 1200cc sport bike. They don't need to read anything I wrote. But I get your point. Hey Cooter, suppose 34 just wants to keep the price down so he can get another 30? <g>
    I’m not saying you bought a Buell for the wrong reasons or are incapable of working on it. However most just want to put gas it in and ride and can’t be trusted near tools.

34:19 speaks the truth.

For some reason the same people that would NEVER open the hood of any car, feel they possess enough skill to work on their Buell? 'After years of ignoring maintenance and abusing my 15 year old Buell, it started running bad. Guess I better learn fuel injection tuning without ANY diagnostics!'

I'm cheap, so when I buy a Buell, they need help*. The first thing is to un-do any owner 'mods' and 'repairs', then catch up on any maintenance. No kidding that 95% of the time I'm left with a well running, dependable and fun motorcycle without doing any "repairs" at all.

*The Ss I bought from Levi was, and is, a complete GEM. Stock down to the warning stickers and the best Buell I've owned