Thread: 2010 wheel bearing install

2010 wheel bearing install

Hi, new here. I have a 2007 xb12x. Upgrading to a 2010 3 bearing wheel.
    My question is, does the second sprocket side bearing get seated all the way down to the inner bearing? Right now it's flush with the outside of the hub but there's room between the two bearings and I have no room for my dust seal. Just wanted to confirm. Thanks!

Sir: The 3-bearing XB rear wheel requires a few unique specific bearing and installation steps to be successful. A few tips on this one-year-only assembly:

All 3 bearings are the SAME part number. Can interchange left or right side
    Both dust seals SAME part number. Can interchange left or right side
    All XB REAR wheels are designed to have a limited amount of bearing changes performed, until the wheel is rendered useless. Typically about 5. Therefore, apply light coating of grease to all bearing outer shells prior to installation. Promotes longevity.

Installation:
    Lightly grease each bearing outer shell. Eases installation.
    ROTOR side bearing must be pressed in FIRST. Then install dust seal and small spacer.
    Flip wheel over and install inner hub spacer after applying very light coating of grease to same.
    Now install 1st left side bearing till bottoms against hub spacer...then 2nd bearing till it bottoms against 1st bearing.
    Now install dust seal

LEFT and RIGHT dust seals are interchangeable.

Follow SM instructions for specific torquing of rear axle and axle pinch bolt. THIS MUST BE DONE with rear wheel raised off the ground.

Barrett, thanks so much for the detailed reply! I searched for hours on this site and elsewhere and could find no mention of this final detail. The bearing on my old wheel had spun in the race due to wear. These wheels are expensive and more delicate than anything I've dealt with on my sportster, but the Buell is a much more capable bike. Thanks again!

Yes Sir my pleasure. Bearing installation and wheel installation pretty straight-forward and refer to the attached schematic for visual. I always put an extremely light coating of plain grease on the axle shaft to prevent corrosion...and the axle threads and axle swingarm head to ease installation and disassembly in the future. After installation just wipe off any grease that oozes out thru the swingarm axle holes. Also, a few drops of blue loctite on the allen head pinch bolt secures it. Exactly follow the axle tightening sequence and torque values in the manual and you'll be fine.

5820_20100910124152_L.jpg