Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Xb12x cross country

Xb12x cross country

Hi folks. Thanks for all the great info so far from the forum!
    I'm headed out soon to ride from Northern California to Richmond Virginia on my 07 uly. Are there any Buell centric stops/resources along the way that are worth checking out?
    I'm interested in upgrading my exhaust or ecm/tune soon as it is a mostly stock CA bike.
    So far I've upgraded to a 3 bearing wheel, replaced the belt and kept the old one as a spare, added wide stem Rox risers and Oury grips, replaced oils and adjusted primary chain slack, new battery, gone through brakes, and replaced spark plugs.
    Thanks!

Four hours north of Richmond, VA. I would:

Blue loctite every single fastener you can see, particularly all 4 turn signal stalk threaded posts
    Stash a small packet onboard with spare relays-fuses-H7 beadlight bulb

Thanks Barrett, are all four fuse box relays the same? Going to grab some backups today. I'll be looking at auto parts stores if you happen to know a part number.

Ya, all the relays are the same. He's posted the number all over. Don't forget zipties, safety wire, a few lengths of 10-24, 1/4"-20 allen bolts, allen set, T27 Torx bit/driver, and the 3/4" hex tool for the axles that should be in your OEM tool kit.

Sights:
    Hopefully you're gonna see the nation and not just blast the 40. Go through Yosemite, Tahoe, Arches, Grand Canyon, Glacier, Bryce Canyon, Valley of the Giants, Pikes Peak, Blue ridge Pkwy...... It is WELL worth the stop in Birmingham at the Barber Museum no matter what, but they might still have the huge ERIK Buell display up as well. Dale's Wheels Through Time off the Blue Ridge Parkway was awesome too. Have fun!, take your time and if you get feeling rushed or bored, slow down and take a day off somewhere. It will be like a whole new trip when you re-start the next day. Stories always find me on a rest day

Equipment:
    You can easily hook up your phone charger off the AUX pigtail thats under the screen. Or go right to the battery and route it under the airbox cover. You can find a USB outlet for cheap that even has a voltmeter on it. Important because your bike doesn't have one. Like these:
    https://www.amazon.com/Outlet-Charge...s%2C120&sr=8-5
    and LOOK at it while riding.

Every 3-5 gas stops, check the oil and LOOK at things. You don't need to break out the endoscope, but a cursory overview while the inevitable guy comes over to tell you how "he used to ride before he had kids" is worthwhile because they will vibrate bolts out, especially things attached to the engine, like the tiny shift linkage. and LOOK at the new wheel bearings. If you see a lot of grease coming out of the seal, it's a sign of impending doom. I don't want to scare you, but new bearings + new belt strangely have caused issues. Don't know if it's a common install issue or combo of new things, but its common enough to mention.

If it runs great, don't mess with it. They are fun, simple, and very dependable. A K/N filter, muffler, and a pre-programmed ECM to swap in are super common and will make you think it has more horsepower than it does, but heed the warning.

Health:
    It's HOT out everywhere. HYDRATE EVERY STOP. If you aren't peeing clear, you aren't hydrated enough. You'll get 120-130miles between gas stops on a Uly so a water bottle every stop with a small protein munchy thing is fine while you walk around and STRETCH to get blood back in your perineum. ATTGATT to cover your skin will keep you cooler than the t-shirt squid uniform.
    Don't pack too much. You'll be wearing gear all day so 3 days of socks/undies/t-shirts, swim trunks that double as shorts, a long sleeve layer/windbreaker thing, toiletries. Theres a nation of Wal-marts and Dollar-stores out there to get what you forgot and you can always Amazon the part or thing you need to a hotel stop.

Have fun, post pics
    Last edited by Cooter; 07-20-2022 at 05:20 PM.

Thanks Cooter! All great advice!
    Definitely taking my time, I have 24 days to complete my trip and have built in days off. I was concerned about the new bearings and belt at the same time but the belt didn't go on overly tight as some have described and I've followed the axle torque specs to a t.

Yes Sir my pleasure. See link below...see my posts. All 4 relays identical. Every H-D dealership and auto parts store stock them reasonably priced.

https://www.buellxb.com/forum/showth...024#post634024

I keep a cable repair kit with me, mainly the end pieces, kinda sucks to break a clutch cable on long ride. Something like this kit for reference -
    And thats alot of great advice from the guys above.

https://www.amazon.com/GT-Speed-Univ...93201503&psc=1

To add to Cooter's advice - I've always tried to use the 'half-tank' rule. I like to stop and stretch and hydrate every half tank. The between-fueling stops are brief, but help keep the monkey-butt and knee pain at bay. Figure that'll equal a stop every hour-ish of riding.

It's most helpful the first day, when you get used to the saddle.

Agreed^^^ It took me awhile to learn that slower is better and with that 24-day time line he'll have plenty of fun things to really explore!

OP: I'm not kidding about those pics!

Thanks for all the great tips! Will definitely post pics along the way, as soon as I figure out how.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast