Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WTB.Ulysses with a blown engine

WTB.Ulysses with a blown engine

Wanted , Looking for a Buell Ulysses with a blown engine. I have an engine to install.

I'm sure you already know this, but I'll put it out there anyways for those who don't.

A Buell XB motor is different than a Sportster motor regardless of whether it is rubber or solid mount. A lot of parts are similar or the same, but the mounting configuration is completely different, and really will only fit an XB (or a frame specifically designed to fit an XB motor).

Carry on.

edit: this may interest you depending where you are located, someone in Tucson was selling a Ulysses for $2000 on Facebook (with a motor).
    Last edited by 34nineteen; 07-28-2022 at 04:56 PM.

He is looking for a bike that needs an engine. Specifically a Ulysses. He has an engine.

Right. But doesn't say what engine he has.

I think Ol' Sanford Nineteen is preemptively warning him if he's just planning on slapping in a Sportster engine he has laying around into a Uly, it no worky worky. Seems fair to let him know.

I'm sure the OP knows the Uly will only take an XB motor, but on the off chance he doesnt, or someone else reads this later may learn
    something before they go that route. I'm not saying its impossible, and every now and again some knucklehead on FB says "i have a welder, i can make it fit bruh"

Also, $2k is a steal for a Uly. Even if the motor is junk, he could possibly rob the heads off it and resell them (as long as their rebuildable) they're worth $500-600 on their own, which takes the Uly price down to $14-1500.

In addition, who knows how complete the OP's motor is. He may need parts like a primary cover, motor mounts, starter, etc. etc. At least if he gets this complete bike and wants to use his motor, he should have all the parts needed to complete the install.

If he winds up with extra parts, he can sell those off to offset the purchase price of the Uly. Seems like a win-win to me.

Of course, thats if the bike is even still available, and if its reasonably close to him.

And if he doesnt want to take my suggestion(s), no harm - no foul, just throwing ideas out there.
    Last edited by 34nineteen; 07-29-2022 at 03:48 PM.

Thanks everyone for your input. I have been building Buells for 18 years and have a small grasp of ability. I am looking for any year Ulysses. I will be installing a 9 engine in it and possibly making it a Loki. Thanks

Cool cool. I’m just used to the knuckleheads rolling through here trying to drop a Sportster motor into their XB to save a buck or two.

Tell us more about your plan. I thought the Loki was a race bike that was supposed to get the Vrod motor before it evolved into the vrod motor.

I’m keeping an XB9 motor around to potentially build an 1170.

Iron1, if your successful in your search, I could use the little rear fender that holds the license plate and rear turn signals.
    Good luck and thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    Cool cool. I’m just used to the knuckleheads rolling through here trying to drop a Sportster motor into their XB to save a buck or two.

Tell us more about your plan. I thought the Loki was a race bike that was supposed to get the Vrod motor before it evolved into the vrod motor.

I’m keeping an XB9 motor around to potentially build an 1170.
    I have a HarborFreight Predator engine I'm getting ready to install in my XB. Now, don't get me wrong, it's NOT stock! In fact, it's got a straight pipe and NO air cleaner on it.

I found a transmission from an old mini bike (2-speed) that I'm gonna install, too. I'm trying to figure out the right final drive ratio to get it up to 120+mph. You have any ideas?

You sure you wanna be on this team? 'Cause thats how you get on this team. Get in the car dammit

Screen Shot 2022-08-04 at 8.13.44 PM.png

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast