Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buell as a first bike?

Buell as a first bike?

My daughter really likes Buells (good kid) and is even thinking about getting one. Other than a 3 hour introductory class which she loved, she has no riding experience other than horses & bicycles. At 5"2" she would prefer a shorter bike. She wants to be able to plant both feet which brought the Scg to mind. My XB9R is a bit tall for her. Too bad they never made an XB9Scg. I would have never thought of such a bike as something to learn with. I was thinking something like a Honda Rebel would be better but nope, she does not like them. She also likes the Yamaha YZF-R3. She likes sport bikes, not cruisers. No long rides, just around town. After comparing seat heights & weights I started thinking that maybe the Buell Scg isn't that crazy an idea. Other than having more than enough power to get someone in trouble, everything else doesn't look bad. I know from personal experience that the brakes and handling are very good and the bike only puts out as much power as you ask for. Wow the XB12Scg is only 18lbs heavier than my 75 Honda CB400F! Thoughts?

My second bike was an 03 xb9s. In my opinion, the bike matters less than the mental maturity of rider. If she fits on the bike and is comfortable with the ergonomics that will make for a more enjoyable experience than buying a bike based just on engine size/power delivery. The more she enjoys the bike the more likely she'll be to get on it, ride, and build her skills.

That being said, keep in mind laying an XB over can result in more damage that may not be easily repaired. If you're concerned about rider skill, you may want to consider a bike that's easier to find parts for incase it gets dropped a couple times.

Went through the same exact thing when Bubbles graduated MSF and her legally midget inseam We both thought she'd be cruiser girl too, but the more she's over the upper triple, the more she likes it.

TBH the torque of the Scg will make it very easy to ride, and she'll be a rockstar in the Starbucks parking lot, haha, but a Blast would be better if you can clean a carb.

Theres no arguing the sense or appeal of an R-3 or Ninja 300-400. Get a used one, they're dirt cheap and run forever with any amount of abuse you give them. Also harder to get in trouble with half the HP. Since you're in AZ and I know the road speeds out there, do yourself a favor and opt for the Ninjette 400 if you can swing it. Any of the 300's will be wrung out just to keep up with traffic with no reserve power left. The 400 is perfect for 60-75 mph and still a little oomph left to get out of trouble.

This is Bubbles getting her racing license two years after MSF grad. Careful what you wish for...

I am only 5'5" so I understand this dilemma

If she can get used to the bike being at a slight lean when stopped, with a shorter seat, I think she will be good to go.

as far as the Ninja 300, I owned one of those and the seat height was around 29". I bought one of those after I had both hips replaced and before I was able to buy back my Buell.
    I will say, it was an amazing bike. Aside from my Buells, my fav bike for sure. Just so much damn fun because of how quick it responded to steering input and stuck to the road.
    Jack-O-Lantern
    2006 Buell XBRS LightningBolt
    http://www.buellxb.com/forum/album.php?albumid=129

Being the proud father of a wonderful 28 year old daughter who commenced riding, on a moped, at age 14....I watched her advance thru the displacement ranks till she eventually progressed to a 250 as her 3rd bike. Considering a 984cc/90HP bike as your daughter's first ride is sheer idiocy. When she crashes it in short order and seriously injures herself......and she will; you will be substantially responsible. That is not a guilt or burden any father should have to endure.

Listen to Cooter on this one Blasts are cheap and to 70mph can’t be beat for a starter bike ( almost like it was made for that)
    When she is ruining boots from the lean angle then move up.

Yeah Barrett is on point too. I got off bikes when my first wife was pregnant with #2 and didn’t ride until #2 was a junior in high school and taking full time college courses.
    I went and found a Blast in 2008 and got back in the saddle. Traffic sucks let her learn om the most forgiving thing you can find.

They made an XB9Scg, it was called an XB9SL.

14 year old on a liter bike for a first motorcycle?

I don't think of an XB-9 when I hear "liter bike". LOL.

If we wanna play all puppiedogs and pillows, sure theres better ways, like getting an old scooter. She can do all the motorcycley things at a 125cc pace that doesn't even require shifting.

But if you are in the situation where an old 85hp*, light, nimble, bike, is what you got laying around in the garage, it's not the dumbest thing I've done today. and it's early.

* Adjusted for inflation

I appreciate all the thoughts on my question. Barrett, I had similar thoughts which is why I asked for opinions here amongst the "experienced". She has changed her mind a bit after reading comments here. Now she thinks a cheaper/smaller bike would be smart. Maybe a Honda CB300F? Didn't know about the XB9SL (and she's well beyond 14 yrs.). And yes Cooter, in Phoenix if you are doing 82 you are in the way! I offer the following graphic to describe the bike purchase thinking process...
    Maslows_Motorcycle IIa.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast