Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: '06 (B)Uelly

Alrighty boys. After letting her sit for a few weeks I finally had the courage to drill into my moto and install the heli kit. It was way easier than expected. Aluminum is soft, I guess. Got the kickstand back on and the exhaust all bolted back up. Ride to work this morning yeilded no rattling... so far.

Thanks for the help and the extra push to get it done right. Future me thanks you even more than present me!

Congrats, thanks for posting the results and glad you are back on the road!

Unfortunately the kickstand fix was not successful. The helicoils seemed solid, but yesterday morning I found the bolts had loosened again. I thought I might just tighten the bolt I had access to and then apply some locktite this weekend. On my way home, though, the kickstand bolts bent as I put weight on the foot peg to swing my right leg over. They must have backed out considerably just on my ten mile ride to work.

It may have been my helicoil job wasn't done well, but but now I don't see how it could be salvaged, aside from installing bigger helicoils and using bigger bolts. But I don't know if I trust my installation ability. At this point I'm thinking about going back to JB Weld...
    Last edited by c3powil; 12-13-2022 at 01:27 PM.

There is a specific method for addressing and repairing this fairly common XB-XL-XR factory side-stand problem and companion engine case damage associated with same. I applaud your honesty, but given your struggles performing relatively simple tasks such as muffler and belt pulley tensioner removal...I suspect the method might be beyond your skill-set....unless you seek out actual in-person experienced help for assistance.

Thanks for your input, Barrett. I am by no means a master mechanic, and everything I have learned has been from necessity. If I made it seems like removing the muffler was difficult, that may be more due to my lack of having worked on anything with this level of "special engineering" before, and I don't own all the tools that would make this process an easy one.

That said, once I gave it a fair shot, I was able to remove the muffler, install the heli-coils, and replace everything in a few hours time. And now that I am researching further into the issue, I am finding old threads where those who have attempted the very same repair have had it fail as well. I am lucky I've never had my bike fall!

I'm going to pick up some grade 8 bolts, remove the muffler again and inspect the mounting area to determine if the helicoils failed or if the bolts simply backed out and bent. If the helicoils are good, I think I will use the new bolts with a healthy touch of red locktite and see if that holds up.

My pleasure and understood. Short of removing the entire lump from the frame, the tried-and-proven method to successfully perform this repair of the threaded engine case bosses is to:

Drain the fuel from the frame via the fuel pump drain plug
    Drain the primary fluid via the primary drain plug
    Drain the engine oil via the swingarm drain plug
    Remove the battery
    Remove the brake fluid from both F&R master cylinders
    Remove the airbox plastic outer cover
    Remove the right side mirror
    Place several large thick packing-style blankets or suitable substitute on floor to right side of bike
    Lay bike over on right side atop the blankets
    Now you have full proper safe working access to the bottom of the engine case to perform the repairs

A correctly done heli-coil repair is significantly stronger than the OE bolt-in-aluminum. You shouldn't be having this issue

Can you take some close up pics to show us the details of the carnage? Put it in gear so it won't roll, turn the bars all the way to the left, and lean it's right side bar end against a solid wall. Up to 25-30* angle is a lot, and plenty for safe access underneath. A math person could calculate it, but it seems to take about 50-60 lbs to pull it off the wall, so that what it's supporting. Only the right bar end will touch and you can put a glove over the grip if you're worried about scratches.

You could also scoot it by any decent repair shop in your area, no need for specific motorcycle repair, any mechanic should be familiar with heli-coils should be able to point out the issue.

Fear not! Theres always a solution.

Quote Originally Posted by c3powil View Post

I'm going to pick up some grade 8 bolts, remove the muffler again and inspect the mounting area to determine if the helicoils failed or if the bolts simply backed out and bent. If the helicoils are good, I think I will use the new bolts with a healthy touch of red locktite and see if that holds up.
    If the helicoils are failing, the strongest bolts in the world with the strongest locktite is not going to fix it.

I'm going to inspect it again tonight and try to take some pictures. I'm not sure if the helicoils themselves have failed, or if the bolts were the point of failure. It seems like the bolts both backed out enough for the stand to pivot, and as soon as I put weight on the peg, the bolts bent. If that's the case then new bolts and locktite seems to be the answer.

If the helicoils have failed, then I know it was my installation of them that was the issue. Barrett's method of putting the bike on its side does seem to be the most surefire way to get the installation done right. If the helicoils have failed, then I think I'll try that. It would give me a good chance to install a new cooling fan and refurb the fuel pump as well.

What is the torque for that bolt with the Helicoil ?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast