Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: '06 (B)Uelly

Quote Originally Posted by Barrett View Post
    Mini-marts typically have a steady influx of customers, other than yourself. Why didn't you flag down one of them to simply give you a throw-the-clutch-away-bump-start and ride it home? Or is that too old-school now to be part of any motorcycle ownership skill-set?
    Nothing special happens with the starter button that you can't replicate by spinning the engine by any means you have. You can bump start anything with a manual. A diesel VW Rabbit in a 105* Tech school Arizona parking lot is one that comes to mind

The key to Barretts valuable advise^^^^ is to overcome the high compression in your V-Twin.

Put it in a high gear so the rear tire is turning faster/engine RPM and therefore requires less torque (rear wheel traction) to spin the engine. Use your weight to squat on the seat (right when you slam the clutch out) to get the most traction with the rear tire. Once you get it to bump over compression once, don't stop! Keep going until it starts.

I'll pop that thing off sooner rather than later. Hopefully this weekend. I'm going to head to the store and grab a heli-coil kit, as I can see they will be pretty useful to keep on hand, and a sledgehammer to help with my other ride.

They really are handy to have in the toolbox. My offer stands if you'd rather me send one to you

I think a sledge hammer was in the original tool kit under the seat, but Erik put the handle halfway through the steel. Ya know... mass centralization. He really is genius!

Don’t listen to CoOter. On Tik-Tok and Facebook there is an account called “5 minute crafts” which shows how to fix all kinds of things a using regular household items. No need for wasting money on tools or parts you may only used once! If you insist on this helicoil tomfoolery, I’m sure 5 minute crafts can show you how to make one out of items found in the kitchen junk drawer!

You spelled craps wrong.

Sure Cooter says you can bump start a buell but in my experience not a chance when my 165lb a$$ drops on the seat even at 20 mph on a downhill it just slides the rear tire. After being “rescued” from that dead battery I almost believed the previous owner’s story that it had 11.5 compression pistons swapped in. That and it’s way faster than my Uly.

My extra 50 lbs of 'center-of-gravity' helps

I forgot to mention that it helps tremendously to first roll it backwards (in gear) to give the engine some momentum before it hits compression. Using the Lunatic Industries patented starter bump procedure with the clutch lever is a good thing to try as well. Once it gets over TDC it should keep spinning.

Either way, it's MUCH easier to maintain your 13-20 year old bikes electrical system so that the yellow button works every time, lol.

Hehehe, yea well I may try bump starting it just to find out if I can do it. Thanks for the offer, Cooter, but I found the channel 34nineteen was referring to. Apparently, you can take a paperclip and twist it around the bolt to align with the threads and it works just as well.

Okay, I've ordered the correct helicoil style kit from Amazon. And after watching a Projectfarm video on Youtube, I now fully understand how much better a thread repair like this is than something like JB Weld or more threadlocker. This weekend I will attempt to remove the muffler again.

The Uly has been LOVING this cold weather (33 degrees F this morning!) and the heated grips the PO installed have come in real "handy" (hehehe). My current commute of 20 miles round trip means I don't really have to worry about the cold anymore. I used to ride 80 miles round trip, and I had to be much more cold conscious. As long as the ice is off the road, I'll be riding.

He's great! I was going to post that for you TTC Torque Test Channel is fun too. Mostly power tool testing but some "projects"

Don't use this one for the kickstand bolts

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast