Thread: Engine swap- have a few questions

Engine swap- have a few questions

So I'm doing an motor swap on my xb9r. It's a 2007 with 2004 motor. I got the old motor and parts off now its time to assemble back together.

1. If I were to lift the motor up by straps so I put it on a stand what's the best lifting points? The plan is to use my weight bench and bar to lift it up so I can reinforce the wooden dolly better.

2. One of my throttle cable is slightly frayed. Can it be repaired or get one of those universal kits to make my own? I'm afraid the solder ends might get loose or come off. I do have access to brazing rods, idk if anyone has tried that instead of softer solder.
    20220810_212000.jpg
    20220810_212000.jpg20220810_212000.jpg

Just give her a big ol' hug, right around the jugs A bare XB motor doesn't weigh very much. If you didn't have your spinach this morning to do it yourself Popeye, find a friend?

The motor mounts are the best places to lift by hand or my machine. Put a strap through the cylinder head mount bracket, install the front motor mount as a good handle, put the long swing arm bolt back through the rear as another hand hold, solid places like that.

As for the cable, I haven't personally had any luck repairing them. They seem to always break again in the fatigued spot and it's never convenient IMO, spend the money on new ones, they aren't expensive.

Heres a link to some XB-S ones. They are long enough, I have used them interchangeably in the past.
    https://st-paul-harley-davidson-buel...b7f85e87&_ss=r
    Last edited by Cooter; 08-15-2022 at 05:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    Just give her a big ol' hug, right around the jugs A bare XB motor doesn't weigh very much. If you didn't have your spinach this morning to do it yourself Popeye, find a friend?

I kind of already started switching parts over so it's pretty heavy. I got it about 4 inches off the ground to put it on a furniture dolly. I'm thinking it's not strong enough that's why I want to lift it higher and put it on a strong platform. I didn't want to strap it up and break the cooling fins or any seals.

The motor mounts are the best places to lift by hand or my machine. Put a strap through the cylinder head mount bracket, install the front motor mount as a good handle, put the long swing arm bolt back through the rear as another hand hold, solid places like that.

As for the cable, I haven't personally had any luck repairing them. They seem to always break again in the fatigued spot and it's never convenient IMO, spend the money on new ones, they aren't expensive.

Heres a link to some XB-S ones. They are long enough, I have used them interchangeably in the past.
    https://st-paul-harley-davidson-buel...b7f85e87&_ss=r

Money is kind of tight. I was wondering either go with universal or wait until I put the engine back to see if it runs. If it doesn't I might just sell it as is. If it does run then I can think about investing more. Not sure if you or anyone has made them out of the $20-30 universal kits.

You can still R&R the cable after the bikes back together. IMO, leave it alone and concentrate on the job at hand. As long as the donor engine is ok, the job is a simple one. Not much to hook up on these. No chain slack to set, no radiator to burp, no valves to adjust

Maybe someone on here that has a Buell junkyard in his garage, has some good cables to sell you? If he's not too busy pissing off Ralph Nader. AHEM! Cough, cough.

FYI, I don't know what happened to the last motor but if it was catastrophic and metal go in the oil.... it's also in the oil cooler, swingarm, and oil lines too. Besides, it's good form to flush all of that stuff anyway.

Why are you lifting the motor, when you could be just lifting the much lighter frame?

Then just set the frame on the motor. Not the other way around.

Last edited by 34nineteen; 08-16-2022 at 04:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    Why are you lifting the motor, when you could be just lifting the much lighter frame?

Then just set the frame on the motor. Not the other way around.

This is I currently have it. I moved the motor to the dolly. I'm wanting to move it to something more sturdy because I feel like thr dolly might snap.

20220814_143003.jpg20220814_143003.jpg

As long as the dolly wasn't broken before you put the motor on it, it will be just fine. They're like girlfriends, I abuse them terribly and they're still hard to break completely. Hell if you can hang it off that little nylon cord and it didn't break.... but enough GF jokes

I'd totally guess the engine and swingarm weigh 100-140lbs? You look to be a gym rat, you should be able to estimate it better than me. Looks almost ready to be put in anyway? Put the frame over it and stick the bolts in, at least it would be secure from falling over.

Unless you get bit by the might-as-wells! Things you should do while the engine is out or rotated.
    Crankcase breathers
    Rocker cover o-rings
    Throttle Body seals
    Heck, add a O2 sensor to that list, make sure your fan isn't oily form the last engine, and you also have to make sure the stator is the same as the one in the old engine. The year break down escapes me but they changed between 2-phase an 3-phase stators. You'll need a Voltage Regulator to match whatever you have in the engine now. 'Plug should match'.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    As long as the dolly wasn't broken before you put the motor on it, it will be just fine. They're like girlfriends, I abuse them terribly and they're still hard to break completely. Hell if you can hang it off that little nylon cord and it didn't break.... but enough GF jokes

I'd totally guess the engine and swingarm weigh 100-140lbs? You look to be a gym rat, you should be able to estimate it better than me. Looks almost ready to be put in anyway? Put the frame over it and stick the bolts in, at least it would be secure from falling over.

Unless you get bit by the might-as-wells! Things you should do while the engine is out or rotated.
    Crankcase breathers
    Rocker cover o-rings
    Throttle Body seals
    Heck, add a O2 sensor to that list, make sure your fan isn't oily form the last engine, and you also have to make sure the stator is the same as the one in the old engine. The year break down escapes me but they changed between 2-phase an 3-phase stators. You'll need a Voltage Regulator to match whatever you have in the engine now. 'Plug should match'.

If he wants to get a cherry picker and invite your pals Freiburger and Finnegan over to do the swap in your driveway, go for it.

I dont think the regulator plug changed until around 08.

Last edited by 34nineteen; 08-16-2022 at 07:36 PM.

It snowed on those idiots ^^^^ hahahahah