Thread: 2003 Buell XB9R - Dean Adams (Magnaflow) Exhaust - Map?

2003 Buell XB9R - Dean Adams (Magnaflow) Exhaust - Map?

Hey All,

Apologies if I am posting in the wrong forum with this question. Long story short, I bought a Magnaflow exhaust from Dean Adams Designs back in 2017. I installed the exhaust on the bike, tried it out with the default maps and the bike was sputtering like crazy. The bike has sat since for ~5 years (dang life stuff!), garage-kept, and I am looking to get it going now. Does anyone know if a race EEPROM burned to the ECU would resolve the issue? I do have a couple race EEPROMs (downloaded from BuellMods at that time applicable to my bike), ECMSPY, and cable to try this out.

Another question regarding the race EEPROMs I have: Filenames BUEGB_XB9_RACE.xpr and BUEIB_XPR_RACE.xpr - is there a difference between the two I should know about?

Thanks all for your time,
    Brian

Brian: I have almost zero knowledge when it comes to the nuances of ECM mapping and haughty vernacular associated with same. But I do know this:
    1-Try sending Adams a PM on here. He's still fairly board-active. He should have your answers.
    2-I have installed generic "race maps" on at least 30 assorted XB's and it always smoothed out throttle response and general overall performance.
    3-If this XB has sat 5 years with pump gasoline in the frame, in all likelihood you'll now have fuel pump problems that will need immediate attention.
    4-Link might help. He has good solid things here including what you might need.

http://www.purpony.net/ecmspy-maps.html

Oddly enough, the calibration for 03-07 isn't finalized yet. I'm still working on it when I have time and can ride to do testing. All of the upper end work is done (4k and up) and runs very well. The sweet spot for a correct AFV, I'm still chasing it to make it as perfect as I can. I'm running dual widebands (again) so I know where it needs work at. My problem continues to be lack of time to get it done and be happy with it. If I get a chance to ride, it's maybe once or twice a month at best. I make changes, test again, but it's usually a couple of weeks between rides.

Also, the factory P&A ecm runs *extremely* lean in a lot of areas and will adjust the ecm to the point that it won't run for poop at idle.
    Last edited by d_adams; 08-21-2022 at 11:38 PM.

If this bike sat for 5 years it will need more than a tune. PERIOD. Please don't just hook it to a jumper and crank all that crap gas into the injectors. 1st step...
    There is a little 1/8"MPT plug on the fuel plate to drain the tank. Hint: Use tinfoil to protect the swingarm.

You need to know what Firmware version you have on your ECM, FIRST. That is the "BUEGB" or "BUEIB" in the filename. Trying to upload the wrong firmware tune with ECMSpy can brick your ECM because its trying to put it in the wrong place in the memory. Connect to ECMSpy, ECMDroid (has a safety to dis-allow that action), TunerPro, whatever and find out your ECM firmware BEFORE you attempt any tuning for a bike that needs new gas at the very least.

I've had issues in the past with the BUEIB firmware version myself, so either find a willing Harley Dealer to wipe your and download the newest firmware with a very dusty programmer (it will come with the latest available OE fuel tune for your bike), or contact IDSpd.com for a whole new plug-n-play ECM that has the proper tune in it. Dean works very close with them, and should be able to help there. IMO, the bike should run better than that with even an OE tune on that MagnaFlow.

Last edited by Cooter; 08-22-2022 at 04:10 PM.