Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stranded

Stranded

Well boys I hopped on the 07 xb12s and road from ND to TX! Everything went well and it took two days but on the way back I broke a bold on my shifter lever…it was broke off inside the primary and I couldn’t shorten the linkage enough to use the higher hole so I just babied it out in 5th gear and tried to get somewhere where I could fix it. It worked okay but after stopping in Belleville KS yesterday for gas I hopped back on 81 but there wasn’t an on ramp, there were cars coming at me and I was going up hill so I gave it a little to much gas and completely fried my clutch so I’ve got 5 neutrals. Now I sit in a bar while the guy a Schmidt Moto in Salina KS tries everything he can to find me something to get me back on the road so I can get back to work. I doubt there’s a quick fix but if anyone can come up with a back woods way to get it back running so I can limp it home it would definitely be you guys. Ride safe and thanks ahead of time🤘

Quick fix info for shop guy so that you can make it home:
    1-Obviously remove primary cover and replace broken bolt you speak of. Should be common shop hardware.
    2-Remove entire clutch pack consisting of diaphragm spring...pressure plate...all friction and steel drive plates. THE LAST PLATE RESTING AGAINST the hub is the shudder plate. You will have to clean it and re-use it.
    3-Wash off and gently glass bead the metal drive plates...thoroughly clean and re-use them.
    4-Find set of good used or new Sportster XL or XR friction plates locally and use them.
    5-Reassemble with the new frictions...used metal plates...used diaphragm spring...adjust everything to factory spec...fill primary with NON-SYNTHETIC 20W50. Should get you home if ridden sensibly.
    Best I can come up with.

Thanks Barrett I’ll let the shop guy know it’s possible…it sounds like he has a sportster in the back we can rob a clutch from so maybe after he gets back if we can do some tinkering.

Yup, Barrett nailed it. get the bolt removed and replace the commonly available clutch parts. Don't forget theres a thing called Amazon that can send clutch parts overnight SPHDOnline.com for OE stuff too. Should be an easy job for a fairly competent mechanic so you can get back on the road!

IMO I've found using 20w/50 oil in the primary can make for a grabby clutch, so I've gone back to Formula +, or whatever the clutch mfg you use recommends. I currently have ATF with the ALTA frictions and love it.

IMO I've found using 20w/50 oil in the primary can make for a grabby clutch, so I've gone back to Formula +, or whatever the clutch mfg you use recommends. I currently have ATF with the ALTA frictions and love it

I recommended entry level 20W50 non-syn to him so that he can conceivably limp home with the quick fixes I suggested.
    It would have considerably less friction-coefficient modifiers in it than the fancy stuff.

I’m not saying your wrong John. Just passing on my experience with HD frictions and 20w/50. YMMV

But “Limp home”?? And then what? Hell na, frictions and a bolt and it will be fine. Send it!

Maybe I just can’t tell the difference but I have run Amsoil 20/50 in both holes on every Buell I have had and never any clutch issues. Admittedly only a few thousand miles a year on most and change engine side every year and primary every other. Am I lucky or just don’t know any better?

Quote Originally Posted by Barrett View Post
    Am I lucky or just don’t know any better?

You don't know any better.

NO idea how this suddenly morphed into some sort of lubricant thread. My recommendation was based on the fact that this cat stated he completely burned out his clutch and was stranded in some middle-of-nowhere cocktail lounge, had some local repair help offers, and looking for quick solution to get his XB back up and running and ability to limp it back home. Readily available cheapo 20W50 in the primary would suffice, given his situation. It is NOT what I typically use in healthy XB-XL-XR primaries but would get the job done and get him home. Scheisse!
    Well I use crude oil - being from Texas and all, it's abundant.

Now, we're in an oil thread.

P.S. You're all wrong and I'm right. Now proceed.

If I can't get whale blubber out of season, I prefer to squeeze the oil right out of a Mink into the primary case. Fresh and smells very nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    If I can't get whale blubber out of season, I prefer to squeeze the oil right out of a Mink into the primary case. Fresh and smells very nice!
    No Unicorn Juice?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast