Thread: Noob question....

Noob question....

Although a seasoned rider and with many, many years of wrenching under my belt, I have what may seem like a stupid question.
    I don't have a suitable rear stand for the Ulysses I'm working on. Is it possible to 'carefully' jack the bike up with my motorcycle floor jack under the muffler or will tears follow?
    Thanks!

A stock muffler has 2 jacking points on it and are printed on the can. Basically under each mount which aligns with internal braces in the can.

Paddock stands do fit but usually need to be widened with a jack a little. Alternatively put a rod through the rear axle and put the rod on jackstands.

Been using one of these forever. Few bucks and easy to build. Make the base the approx size of the legs on your floor jack/lift. Use a piece of cardboard to form the pattern of the muffler curvature then transfer the pattern over to the wood you chose. Rest self-explanatory. Works like a charm.

xb stand.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    A stock muffler has 2 jacking points on it and are printed on the can. Basically under each mount which aligns with internal braces in the can.

Paddock stands do fit but usually need to be widened with a jack a little. Alternatively put a rod through the rear axle and put the rod on jackstands.
    Ahh, excellent! thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Barrett View Post
    Been using one of these forever. Few bucks and easy to build. Make the base the approx size of the legs on your floor jack/lift. Use a piece of cardboard to form the pattern of the muffler curvature then transfer the pattern over to the wood you chose. Rest self-explanatory. Works like a charm.

xb stand.jpg
    Great idea, thank you!

Don't scrimp on the 'height' of the form - you want it to be at least half the thickness of the can. Otherwise the bike might rotate in the form and fall over. Even if you have glued some inner tube in the forms. DAMHIKT.

Or,

448590.jpg

I copied this then blew this up to the listed measurements and then simply cut the wood to the size and shape.
    Last edited by njloco; 08-31-2022 at 01:05 PM.

njloco - nice!

Note the exhaust can is an oval, not a circular cross-section. As Barrett said, make a pattern using a piece of cardboard to get the profile.

Also - before you go crazy with padding or lining, remember you might want to run the engine while the bike is on the stand (not recommended!) Obviously, the can gets right toasty.

Last, it's always a good idea to run a couple of straps to keep the bike upright in/on the stand.