Thread: weird detent type feel between 3rd and 2nd (downshift only)

weird detent type feel between 3rd and 2nd (downshift only)

So you know when you downshift from 2nd to 1st and as you bypass neutral you can feel that little notch/detent type thing - well I get the same thing downshifting from 3rd to 2nd. What's up with that?? Fluid levels are perfect, shift linkage is perfect (adjusted to my height and preference years ago and never touched since). This is for an 09 XB9 with 27,000 miles. Is this just age or a canary in the coal mine that something is brewing?

Could be a burr on the shift drum. Probably best to pull the transmission and correct it before it becomes a bigger problem.

What are some of the things that could cause a burr, inquiring minds would like to know ?

Combination of clutch cable...clutch pack..primary drive chain all incorrectly adjusted.

Hmmm, clutch cable is newer was recently re-adjusted to spec. I have not checked the primary in over a year though. Will look into that.

Thank you Mr. Barrett.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderhead View Post
    Hmmm, clutch cable is newer was recently re-adjusted to spec. I have not checked the primary in over a year though. Will look into that.

The cable must be adjusted in conjunction with the clutch pack.The pack adjustment screw done first...then the cable.
    A primary/trans fluid (1 US Quart) such as Mobil-1 20W50 motorcycle specific or the same in Amsoil or SuperTech immensely helps shifting. MUST be JASO-MA or MA2 rated.

I accidentally did this correctly. I'm rocking a 1/4 turn out on the adjusting screw from when it bottomed (spec is 1/4-1/2 turn out). Cable adjustment followed after that.
    Also accidentally have Mobil 1 in there as well, proper levels, checked many times. Still have yet to check primary chain - I've read various takes on this - most people (like Cooter) do it while the bike is running and also kinda by sound. What's your take/recommendation? Thanks btw