Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Buell xb12xt oil drips unknown area

Separate * the crank hose

Can anybody confirm that the crank breather hose is just a hose open ended at the tip no filter or valve?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypefxx View Post
    Can anybody confirm that the crank breather hose is just a hose open ended at the tip no filter or valve?
    Whatever are you talking about? There is no "crank breather hose".

There are 4 breather/vent hoses

Front cylinder to air cleaner through the PCV valve
    Rear cylinder to air cleaner through the PCV valve
    Gear case/cam cover to the rear swingarm
    Transmission vent to the rear shock area. This is the only one (from the engine case) that vents to atmosphere.

Lastly, the fuel vent/overfill/overflow hose, which also vents to atmosphere.

I recommend downloading a free service manual from buellmods.com

Trans breather hose sorry. Should there be some sort of filter or nozzle at the end of the hose or is it just an open hose. Seems like stuff can fall into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypefxx View Post
    Trans breather hose sorry. Should there be some sort of filter or nozzle at the end of the hose or is it just an open hose. Seems like stuff can fall into it.
    Its an open hose to atmosphere. Under most circumstances, while running there will be slight positive pressure in the transmission keeping things being pushed out of the vent hose. Can something "fall in"? Yeah, well sure... it would need to defy gravity and work its away all the way down the hose and into the transmission case.

If you're really worried about that happening, you could put an inline fuel filter on the hose or a diff vent cap on there, but the other 99.99% of people just leave it open.

Sorry Barrett, I couldnt find an Office reference.
    Last edited by 34nineteen; 03-17-2023 at 04:51 PM.

I appreciate the detail answer. I bought the bike used so it’s trying to figure what was done or stock was kind of a pain.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12