Thread: xb12xt axle cover questions

xb12xt axle cover questions

Hello, I am new to this group and I just toke possesion of a 08 XT. I'm sure I will have lots of questions but first things first. The bike has cont TKC80's which I must change before I even ride it because I can barely touch the ground with these tires on. I have a new set of Pielli Scorpeon II. However my axel has some kind ofshiny black caps on to cover the axle nuts. Two of them( one on each axle) have set screws going in the side. However, I have every metric and SAE allen wrench size there is and none of them fit I suspect they are rounded out from trying to use the wrong size wrench. I don't want to save them but I don't want to destroy anything under them. Does anybody know anything about theses, like what's under the shiny black cap?

Cheers,
    Warren

Quote Originally Posted by scooterman View Post
    Hello, I am new to this group and I just toke possesion of a 08 XT. I'm sure I will have lots of questions but first things first. The bike has cont TKC80's which I must change before I even ride it because I can barely touch the ground with these tires on. I have a new set of Pielli Scorpeon II. However my axel has some kind ofshiny black caps on to cover the axle nuts. Two of them( one on each axle) have set screws going in the side. However, I have every metric and SAE allen wrench size there is and none of them fit I suspect they are rounded out from trying to use the wrong size wrench. I don't want to save them but I don't want to destroy anything under them. Does anybody know anything about theses, like what's under the shiny black cap?

Cheers,
    Warren
    Those are "axle sliders", and there are a few different designs they use for them. They are used to add some protection if the bike gets layed down, they cover the holes to keep dirt and water out, and also allow you to slide further down the road,lol.
    I think most all of them have a rubber bushing that expands into the axle and creates a seal. Some have a rod that runs all the way through to marry to the opposite side. Some with no rod, have a hex screw on the outside face that when tightened, will expand the rubber bushing to hold it in place.
    Try unscrewing the sliders C.C. while pulling on them, and see if they loosen up and screw out. If not, try to wiggle and pull firmly and see if they simply ease out. Or, use a #1 EZ-Out(5/64"drill bit,I think)and back em out.
    TheWood (Bob)

Thanks I'll get back on that project tomorrow

Bob's right, post a pic if you want specific instructions, the set screw is probably just full of road grit.

TKC-80's SUCK on the street so going with a basic tire like the Scorpion will let it ride and handle MUCH better. Don't expect it to be any lower though, the tire lugs are tall but the carcass has much less of a dome to it. The bike will be very close to the same height when you're done, but theres plenty of ways to lower the suspension slightly.

If you are swapping the wheels yourself please note to be careful and FOLLOW THE PROCEDURE IN THE SERVICE MANUAL EXACTLY. Including exact torque specs. Yes, I know it's a simple job, but Buells are weird and need it done correctly or expect imminent bearing failure.

Heres a .PDF of the service manual:
    http://buellmods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    Bob's right, post a pic if you want specific instructions, the set screw is probably just full of road grit.

TKC-80's SUCK on the street so going with a basic tire like the Scorpion will let it ride and handle MUCH better. Don't expect it to be any lower though, the tire lugs are tall but the carcass has much less of a dome to it. The bike will be very close to the same height when you're done, but theres plenty of ways to lower the suspension slightly.

If you are swapping the wheels yourself please note to be careful and FOLLOW THE PROCEDURE IN THE SERVICE MANUAL EXACTLY. Including exact torque specs. Yes, I know it's a simple job, but Buells are weird and need it done correctly or expect imminent bearing failure.

http://buellmods.com
    Yes, do heed what he ^^^^^said. Notice his post count; speaks to "been there, done that". Oh; welcome to the forum Warren.

There are no axle "nuts". Under that slider gizmo is your axle. Both F&R axles have pinch bolts. Loosen and remove first before attempting to loosen each axle. Speaking of gizmos....You'll need this if the axle tool is missing from your factory under-seat tool kit. Rear axle is right hand threads----Front axle is left hand threads.

wEl.rmvl2.jpg

Thanks for the tip on rh/lh thread. Since I wasn't reusing the caps/covers I just grabbed them with a waterpump plier and they loosened quite easily. Guess the rounded out set screws weren't very tight. Now onto the next......

http://buellmods.com[/QUOTE]

As to the height, I was going by specs I found on line that listed the dia. of the tkc 80 at 24 in and the pirelli ar 20.9. Which didn't seem right to me since the whole purpose of stamping a number on a tire is to conform to a standard. Thanks for the pdf and I'll be delving into the lowering problem as soon as I get caught up on other issues
    Cheers,
    Warrn

I couldn't find the tire specs, even on Continental's site, and I'm shocked to see that big a difference as well given the same tire size 180/55-17.
    The only reason I have that opinion the TKC's are shorter is because I replaced Pirelli Scorpions with the TKC-80's on a Ss and wondered why it felt slightly shorter after the change.

Anyone want to buy a complete set of Pewter wheels and TKC-80's?