Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Skid Plate = Muffler?

Skid Plate = Muffler?

This question is more theoretical than anything, but I have wondered...

Is the underslung muffler supposed to act as a skid plate on our XB12X bikes? If so, is it actually recommended to use them as such?

I can't imagine ever taking my XB12X off-road in such a capacity as to actually need a very robust skid plate, but it seems like the muffler is in an unfortunate position for this kind of travel if it isn't suited for the occasional rock or log. Any experiences with this?

Quote Originally Posted by c3powil View Post
    This question is more theoretical than anything, but I have wondered...

Is the underslung muffler supposed to act as a skid plate on our XB12X bikes? If so, is it actually recommended to use them as such?

I can't imagine ever taking my XB12X off-road in such a capacity as to actually need a very robust skid plate, but it seems like the muffler is in an unfortunate position for this kind of travel if it isn't suited for the occasional rock or log. Any experiences with this?

Dean Adams and others have offered skid plates for sale. While the stock muffler is designed to be a robust jacking point for the bike and it probably OK to take an occasional "rub" , remember its only held to the bike by the 3 thin straps. Even if you dont pierce the casing of the muffler, if you start to break the straps you could be in for a world of hurt, as it could cause the header (unavailable) to break over time.

10-4, thanks for the insight. I figured it was probably not the best idea to go single tracking with no further protection, but that's not really going to be a problem for me. Those straps seemed to be in great condition when I removed my muffler recently. I will try and keep them in-tact.

The XB series muffler is along the lines of the giant perimeter front brake rotor. An ill-conceived engineering exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by c3powil View Post
    10-4, thanks for the insight. I figured it was probably not the best idea to go single tracking with no further protection, but that's not really going to be a problem for me. Those straps seemed to be in great condition when I removed my muffler recently. I will try and keep them in-tact.
    Also, I think Kevin at Drummer offers (internal?) reinforcements for the stock muffler when he does the Drummer conversion. It may be worth considering if you are in the market for an aftermarket pipe, but double check my homework on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Barrett View Post
    The XB series muffler is along the lines of the giant perimeter front brake rotor. An ill-conceived engineering exercise.
    Hi TPEHAK,

Long time, no hear. Are you still building CNC and 3D printed parts for your bike? Also, what did you decide to do regarding your parking space issue at work? I still think you need to quit skipping leg day. Yep, CoOter is still a j3rk, just in case you were wondering.

your pal,
    34:19

One thing I like about the stock exhaust is the volume. I have heard the Drummers are quite loud. My little CB500x has an aftermarket exhaust that sounds very nice in tone, but quickly becomes annoying after riding at highway speeds. And it's not even very load as far as exhausts go. I wear foam earbuds most of the time.

A well packed Drummer is quite nice, with a low deep tone and minimum volume. I don't prefer loud pipes either, Bubbles has one on her Scg and I really love how it sounds.

Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    Hi TPEHAK,

Long time, no hear. Are you still building CNC and 3D printed parts for your bike? Also, what did you decide to do regarding your parking space issue at work? I still think you need to quit skipping leg day. Yep, CoOter is still a j3rk, just in case you were wondering.

your pal,
    I have a very nice stock muffler I'll sell you. But it will cost 25% more if you show up in person to get it

Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    Hi TPEHAK,

your pal,

Job change. Now consultant for New Buell Motorcycles.Com and lead advisor on all forthcoming 23 exciting, distinct new models. Unlimited parking here at corporate headquarters. Purchased new BMW R1200RT professional touring machine and Suzuki Vstrom 1050XT Adventure rugged exploring multi-sport machine. Can no longer recommend Buell XB series and extinction of parts plus pedigree has significantly degraded. BMW Suzuki marriage ultimate in reliability and general prowess. Will recommend highly both brands for non-inferior Buell problems and oil leaks. Bavarian GS superior for all environments. Own 1 of them as well.

Regards,
    TEABAG

100_2266.jpg
    buddys t-giving 2022.jpg
    mem day 1.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Barrett View Post
    Job change. Now consultant for New Buell Motorcycles.Com and lead advisor on all forthcoming 23 exciting, distinct new models. Unlimited parking here at corporate headquarters. Purchased new BMW R1200RT professional touring machine and Suzuki Vstrom 1050XT Adventure rugged exploring multi-sport machine. Can no longer recommend Buell XB series and extinction of parts plus pedigree has significantly degraded. BMW Suzuki marriage ultimate in reliability and general prowess. Will recommend highly both brands for non-inferior Buell problems and oil leaks. Bavarian GS superior for all environments. Own 1 of them as well.

Regards,
    TEABAG

100_2266.jpg
    buddys t-giving 2022.jpg
    mem day 1.jpg

I am sorry, but nothing could work well enough to make that bike less ugly. I'll stick to my XB.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast