Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't remove transmission main shaft nut

Can't remove transmission main shaft nut

Hello, when I try to remove the transmission main-shaft nut the whole gear assembly spins with the nut, no matter what I try it will not come loose. Any tips? blast2.jpg

basically the bike won't shift into any gear besides Neutral, 2nd and 3rd. I tried shifter pawl adjustment, it did nothing. I hear grinding sounds when attempting to shift gears, I need to remove the transmission to see what is wrong, but this nut just wont come loose.

Quote Originally Posted by pkat View Post
    Hello, when I try to remove the transmission main-shaft nut the whole gear assembly spins with the nut, no matter what I try it will not come loose. Any tips? blast2.jpg

basically the bike won't shift into any gear besides Neutral, 2nd and 3rd. I tried shifter pawl adjustment, it did nothing. I hear grinding sounds when attempting to shift gears, I need to remove the transmission to see what is wrong, but this nut just wont come loose.
    Yes, I am using the primary drive locking bar tool that locks the sprockets, it still spins.

A picture of the entire work area would help.

The only way the sprocket can turn independently of the inner sprocket is if the clutch is slipping badly. You may need to disassemble the clutch and put something between the discs and plates then reassemble to get it to grab.

Or hit it with an impact. Normally, I wouldnt suggest that but it sounds like you have bigger problems than that.

techtalk:ref:tools:clutch_nut_removal_by_tigercreek.jpg

FYI... the transmission is only accessible/removeable by splitting the case. So if you do have an issue in the transmission, the bike probably isnt worth repairing.

techtalk:ref:tools:clutch_nut_removal_by_tigercreek.jpg
    Last edited by 34nineteen; 10-06-2022 at 11:36 PM.

Clutch pack components completely irrelevant. The clutch hub/basket is ID splined. The trans input shaft is identically OD splined. The input shaft threads and companion fastening nut are LEFT HAND THREADS. If you have absolutely locked the trans input shaft in place via the standard method of locking the basket ring teeth to the front compensator teeth.....and turning the nut CLOCKWISE to loosen results in both shaft and nut turning....then you simply have stripped splines on either the hub or shaft or both.
    Good luck with that challenging scenario.

Sensei Barrett,

I think what he is trying to say is that #25 and 26 rotate independently of one another. He is going to need to find a way to lock them together to remove the nut (or use an impact). Either way, I think he's focked unless he wants to sink bunch of time and potentially a lot of money into this.

One day I hope to have the strength of a grizzly, the reflexes of a puma, and the wisdom of a man, like you taught.

_kip

Thank you guys

Hi guys, thank you all for your input. I will just toss the bike, sounds like a real pain, and I have no impact gun. Not guna spend more money on this thing, already 1100 into it, and to be honest, it is not worth it. Was fun at first, but it is time to let go.

Where do you live. I'm sure it's got some good parts

No kidding the splines stripped offthe crankshaft on my first blast and I dumped it but now I am looking for parts so if I am closer or outlaw doesn’t want it I would consider it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast