Thread: Options for clutch cable replacement

Options for clutch cable replacement

Is the original HD part the best quality option for an XB12 or are there some others? Mine has seen better days and needs additional heat shielding to stay alive.

I would stick with what works assuming it's still available. If not, find a local shop that can make cables as required. It's been a minute since I last made one, but it ain't all that difficult to do. Well, as long as you don't live in Commiefornia or some such place where *gasp* LEAD might be present.

LOL I was looking to see if Venhill might make something, but don't see anything premade. I was kind of hoping to replace it with a stainless steel braided version, but do not think that's available.

IMO, no need to out-engineer the engineers. Add a bit of shielding* to a OEM cable where you think it needs it and go riding.

*You probably have 3/8" rubber fuel line/zipties in the garage, is cheap, and works great.

Absolutely true, in the bin of scrap tubing of all sorts, for sure. Hell I think there might even be some old stainless braid hanging around in there too LOL

New cable from Surdyke then, I guess.

In case you happen to Ride to live and live to ride in California there is a CABLE REBUILDER and CUSTOM CABLE MAKER in C H I C O California called

California PUSH-PULL,INC. which I just happen to have their flyer........ We all have to live somewhere so I'm doing this to help as a reference. MOTION PRO also does cables but have not done business with them. I have one in ROCKLIN CA. Help is Help and I thank all on this forum that I have benefited from.

1.jpg

I stopped by Tucson HD and the parts guy recommended a local cable builder, but I've not been able to reach them by phone after trying them twice. The cable is available from HD still, fortunately, but I'd like to see if I can pull on that local thread. Might need to swing by in person, I guess.

I finally made contact with a place called Bubbas in Tucson today. No go. They source a lot of cable from Drag Specialties, but do not produce their own. I like the California Push-Pull, Inc. suggestion, that is definitely where we will all be going once HD stock is depleted! The local dealership said $85 for a new one and it will take 7-10 days.

https://www.venhill.co.uk/cables-and...le-cables.html