Thread: XB12s Lightning - Fuel low indicator light on sensor

XB12s Lightning - Fuel low indicator light on sensor

Hi Buellers I have a XB12s Lightning, the dash fuel low indicator light now stays on permanently, and I am sick of just using the amount of Km I travel to determine whether Im about to get stranded on the side of the road due to running dry. I can only assume it is a faulty sensor that's inside the fuel tank attached to the pump. But its quite a job accessing it. I was just wondering if anyone has had this issue and found out whether it was just the wires or plugs coming loose making this dash light come on. Is there a way to test it with out removing it from the tank. I think the sensor just passes a negative signal (earth) that activated the dash light. Any ideas / help would be appreciated. Thanks fellas in advance.
    Regards Scott McMuk

Scott: The ECM does not automatically default to active low fuel indicators on the dash if wiring goes awry. The fuel level sensor is a single wire sensor. I have never seen its wire pull out of the sensor body or harness connector. If the wire chafes from rubbing against the pump housing it typically causes the ECM to reset low fuel indicators at random. Simply replace the sensor and I'd recommend also doing a basic service to the pump while it's removed from the frame. At the very least, replace the inlet sock filter...high pressure filter...HP filter bushings. See link below for part # and operational description of how the sensor works, that I posted up years ago.

See link below to order sensor if you'd like. Shipping to the UK via USPS 1st class air less than $20, as I recall.

https://www.buellxb.com/forum/showth...vel-sensor-nla

https://www.midatlanticcycle.com/wp/...are-part-pump/
    Last edited by Barrett; 11-07-2022 at 12:25 PM.

and with that said, school is out.

Principal Barrett Strickland will be keeping an eye on you slackers.

2D6743BB-3934-4F78-BDBF-6299412AAB70.jpg

06 Uly had this problem a ways back. Notice the wire that rubbed through the insulation for this fuel pump.
    Last edited by jl551c; 11-13-2022 at 02:30 AM.

I think 34nineteen is working on a wireless fuel pump....

Before everything went to hell, Erik and I were working on that project. We had the wireless part almost resolved, and were working on a new "pump on injector" style setup.

A guy in CA named Shawn wound up purchasing the technology and converted it to a beer tap.