Thread: 03 XB12r Race bike

03 XB12r Race bike

Hey Everyone, just picked up a 03 XB12r in a bit of a sorry state. It has been deregistered so cannot go back on the road given New Zealand new compliance rules so it is going to be my new BEARS/track day bike. Realistically, what can I remove in the way of gear for the track. Im thinking stator, rotor, regulator, starter, all lights etc. Anything else???. Cheers, Stu

You really want to run a total loss electrical system and bump start a high compression V-twin? But didn't mention re-freshing the engine on a 19 year old machine?

Skipping brekkie once in a while would net the same weight reduction gains. There isn't much to reduce weight on a Buell. You can add a little power, big bore kit, real tuning, and depending on the track, a XB9 primary would gear you lower. But still... why? It would be more competitive in a SuperStock than it would with the modded bikes in Superbike.

A Buell makes a great track day bike. Not much to mod at all TBH. No coolant to swap, no chain to adjust, no valve lash to check.
    IMO, don't lose sight of your goal, which is to win a Track Day right? So get faster. Get training. #1 get training. Did I mention to pay for some quality education? Because you should pay for some professional training.

For the bike, get better brakes (SBS or Brembo pads, ZTL-2 caliper, 19mm radial master, EBR rotor hardware) at a MINIMUM.
    Get better suspension, Re-build the forks (they're decent at mid-pace) and have them set them up for YOU. And get a NEW rear shock, yours is toast.
    Get better tires. New tires are awesome, pick your brand, don't go cheap.
    Sure, get Racy McRacer plastics that look good to the Missus in the garage, take off the headlights, brackets and bar switch, kickstand etc. You'll want much lower bars Renthal RC lows are great, or find a "R" upper triple for clip-ons* (I have one if you want it) it will fit because you removed the headlight shell.
    Remove the dash, and get an AIM Solo 2, remove the key and get a woodcraft bypass, get adjustable pegs/rear sets/levers.

Broke yet? Welcome to the track

Edit:* Oops, I mis-read it was an S. The R should already have clip-ons, but they do that weird 'tiller steering' thing. Universal fork tube clamps can make them right.
    Last edited by Cooter; 11-13-2022 at 06:57 PM.

Cheers Cooter, always a source of good info. The bike was pretty cheap but ratty. I have two other XB's so this bike will be donating parts to the spares shelf. I'm 63 so track days is all about fun rather than winning. Our local race scene here in Christchurch is very social and the BEARS has classes for Superstock (road based bikes) and Milwaukee Iron for American bikes and Clubmans for newbies. The bike came with the Buell race ECM and race muffler which will be the extent of my tuning. I have a new rear shock to fit and the forks definitely need work. It has a different top yoke than the "r" one that does not have the clipon tube lugs but has clipon mounts fitted on top. I will fit clipons under the top yoke. Other than that, I just want it to be a bare boned fun bike. Fortunately, I have a set of starting rollers so constant loss battery is OK. The bits that dont go onto the spares shelf will be sold to offset purchase price.

I just meant to ask if the advantage of very minimal weight savings, is worth the complication, battery charger, rollers vs. hitting the button and riding away when your class is called. Especially when theres no big cardboard check on the line Up to you, but you'll be having fun either way

I hate to say this, but Buells are pretty well suited for a disposable track day bike. Fast, dependable, decent handling, and cheap to run. Sad to see them disappear, but you're doing the right thing with that one. Its better than junking a decent one just because you can't ride it on the street.

Yes...no Buells were harmed in this exercise. I am quite aware that too many Buells get parted out for little reason. Hopefully taking surplus bits off this one will keep some more good ones on the road and still have a bike left over. I also have a Rob North Trident that has been put together with parts that were un serviceable or worn so as to save the good stuff for restorations. Meant a lot more work to reclaim broken bits but Im pleased i did it that way.

Totally agree with that.

You're a purist

DSC_0001 (1).jpg

DSC_0001 (2).jpg

And a Penske out back. Bikes been fun. Check your fasteners often

DSC_0127.jpg
    Last edited by outthere; 12-27-2022 at 07:49 PM.

https://www.grainger.com/product/23U...E&gclsrc=aw.ds