Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reassembling bike- few questions

Reassembling bike- few questions

Finally got the frame back over the motor and I have a few questions because I didn't take enough pictures.
    1. The belt is very close to the oil line, might be even rubbing. The swing arm looks fine, no accidents. Is it possible the oil lines were tighten and shifted? I didn't put on any guards. I'm going to be removing the oil lines to add the thread sealant so any clues as to why the oil lines are so close to the belt? The clip that holds the two lines together doesn't screw to the engine? Should it?

2. Does the starter wire loop over or under the motor mount that looks like a dog bone.

3. I didn't label a few parts. Anyone have a picture of what the fuel line nut at the fuel pump looks like? Is it the one with nylon on one side?

20221112_182103.jpg20221112_182039.jpg20221112_182103.jpg20221112_182039.jpg

#1-pic shows attachment point and oil line routing at the vicinity of front pulley
    #2-starter wire goes beneath the engine-to-frame mount you mentioned
    #3-schematic and pic for reference
    #4-fuel line "nut"????

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/10....html?page=265

xb.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Barrett View Post
    #1-pic shows attachment point and oil line routing at the vicinity of front pulley
    #2-starter wire goes beneath the engine-to-frame mount you mentioned
    #3-schematic and pic for reference
    #4-fuel line "nut"????

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/10....html?page=265

xb.JPG

I think I found my reason for the oil lines being so close to the belt. I put an 04 engine in a 2007 frame. The 04 doesn't have a mounting hole for the plastic clip to screw into. Now I'm not sure if I need to swap the lines or what. Just noticed the oil line at the bottom doesn't have a mounting point either. The oil line is pretty close to the tensioner.

My research indicates the 2007 swing arm is shorter than the 2004 so do I need the 2004 lines?

I attached picture pointing to the fuel line nut.
    Attached Images Attached Images

1) under
    2) tighten the nut… you removed the fuel line from the pump instead of using just the quick release.
    3)the oil lines depend on the swingarm. If you are running a 03-05 swingarm you have to use the braided line if you are running a 07-09 swingarm you need to use the 06-07 rubber lines (08-09 lines will not work because of the oil pump routing)

except you will need the Jiffy Tite fittings to connect to the late model swingarm.

Which is different than the Jiffy Tite fittings currently being offered in the aftermarket.
    Last edited by 34nineteen; 11-15-2022 at 04:30 PM.

Different Jiffy tight?? I don't think that what they are? Me confuse.

From memory (so a grain of salt please) Jiffy tight only supplies NPT and/or ORB threads and as a quick disconnect. NPT (National Pipe Thread) is common enough, and ORB is exactly the same as AN thread but seals with an O-ring instead of on the 37* AN. Put an O-ring on a regular AN and it should seal perfectly. Not 1/2 ass... perfectly... as designed.

Lord help me if I see PTFE tape on AN threads

Anywhooo, I've done custom Buell oil coolers before and 1/8"-27 NPT to -6AN adaptor has worked fine for me. Never done the swing arm though I would [I]assume[I] it is the same? But otherwise could only really be ORB thread? Now I'm skeered, must go research.

or screw it and use this in the existing fitting:
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/e...xoCSX4QAvD_BwE
    Screen Shot 2022-11-14 at 7.30.44 PM.png
    (Yes they make 90*'s and short versions too.)
    add the kit above and be done with your custom oil lines in a beer or less.
    Last edited by Cooter; 11-15-2022 at 02:34 AM.

The part that they call a "Jiffy Tite" connection is at the swingarm (at least on the 06-07 bikes).

This is a 08-up hose, but the "flares" look like this. I've heard that some had issues with the hoses blowing off when the circlips lose tension over time, so maybe this is an early design that has been superceded... or was an OE spec only.

I'd imagine a hose shop could remove the flexible section and re-use the ends. But, it seems like every hose shop I've dealt with advertises that they can build anything, but when I bring them something to duplicate, they have 100 reasons why they can't.

PS. You are a Jiffy Tite connection.
    Last edited by 34nineteen; 11-15-2022 at 04:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post

Lord help me if I see PTFE tape on AN threads
    Sort of like the guy I know who bought lock washers and nyloc nuts reinstalling a swaybar on a Corvair. Such a dumbarse.

Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    Sort of like the guy I know who bought lock washers and nyloc nuts reinstalling a swaybar on a Corvair. Such a dumbarse.
    You want to be safe at ANY speed, right?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast