Thread: My new ride

My new ride

After joining months ago I find today that having no posts I cannot even view my own profile, time to get a little involved i guess.

So, last bike was a 2010 HD XR1200, new bike is 2008 Ulysses XB12XT. XR1200 left me with just over 134,000km, been to top of Pikes Peak, Banff Alberta most every summer, U.S. and Canadian Tail of the Dragon (yes, we have one in Ontario as well, same highway #, not as twisty, still fun), and last trip was Cabot Trail Nova Scotia this past August. Riding on the street since 1985 I owned nothing but Honda's till I bought the XR in 2013 with 1.183km on the clock. Must admit that the XR has been the most reliable bike I have ever owned, that is why I jumped on the Ulysses when I saw it for sale. 36,872km on the Ulysses when I acquired it, hope it is as reliable as the XR. When purchased it had a really "grabby" front rotor. Installed new EBC pads and rotor, Aagaard set me up switching it from floating to fixed rotor and that is all good now. Started throwing a check engine code and within a few days I ended up with a dead battery after fueling up. Bum starting worked but would not allow bike to go more than 3 blocks before dying. First time I have brought a bike home on a tow truck! New battery and all good. Then I lose the front headlights! That turns out to be a ground wire threesome that is soldered and failed, resoldered myself and good to go. Then I get a Buelltooth and manage to read and turn off a #16 battery low voltage warning from the battery incident. That was all within last month before snow. Hopefully, I believe the gremlins are worked out.

Plan to get rear shock professionally rebuilt this winter, maybe led headlights as well.

PXL_20221011_144539545.MP (1).jpg PXL_20220918_212728417.jpg PXL_20220921_155959079.jpg

Sir: I have owned approx 20 assorted Buell XB's and still own three......and presently owning 4 Harley Davidson XR1200's. I can tell you from vast personal experience that no Buell will ever be as reliable and bomb-proof, for a multitude of reasons, as the coveted XR1200. XB's are decent, pleasant, enjoyable honest motorcycles BUT build-quality and reliability were never their strong-suits. Good news is it appears you've successfully dealt with 3 of the 4 most common XB complaints/ailments:

assorted failing grounds with cluster/lighting/electronics front ground being most prevalent
    Ridiculous "engineering-exercise" front rotor causing a myriad of braking problems to include cracked pads/pulsation problems
    Battery vibration-location induced heat-poor choice for negative cable base ground the three main culprits for shortened battery life and fault code #16

100_1975.jpg
    001.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Barrett View Post
    ...Good news is it appears you've successfully dealt with 3 of the 4 most common XB complaints/ailments:

assorted failing grounds with cluster/lighting/electronics front ground being most prevalent
    Ridiculous "engineering-exercise" front rotor causing a myriad of braking problems to include cracked pads/pulsation problems
    Battery vibration-location induced heat-poor choice for negative cable base ground the three main culprits for shortened battery life and fault code #16
    #4 is?

Quote Originally Posted by Lakota View Post
    #4 is?
    On the Ulysses models, make sure the seat base isnt pressing down on the ECM or ECM plugs which can cause issues. Some have relocated the ECM to prevent this from happening.

Don't tell CoOter you have beer in your fridge

Don't doubt the 'fringe.

and with that said, school is out.

Principal Barrett Strickland will be keeping an eye on you slackers.

Last edited by 34nineteen; 11-23-2022 at 02:29 PM.

After joining months ago I find today that having no posts I cannot even view my own profile, time to get a little involved i guess.

So, last bike was a 2010 HD XR1200, new bike is 2008 Ulysses XB12XT. XR1200 left me with just over 134,000km, been to top of Pikes Peak, Banff Alberta most every summer, U.S. and Canadian Tail of the Dragon (yes, we have one in Ontario as well, same highway #, not as twisty, still fun), and last trip was Cabot Trail Nova Scotia this past August. Riding on the street since 1985 I owned nothing but Honda's till I bought the XR in 2013 with 1.183km on the clock. Must admit that the XR has been the most reliable bike I have ever owned, that is why I jumped on the Ulysses when I saw it for sale. 36,872km on the Ulysses when I acquired it, hope it is as reliable as the XR. When purchased it had a really "grabby" front rotor. Installed new EBC pads and rotor, Aagaard set me up switching it from floating to fixed rotor and that is all good now. Started throwing a check engine code and within a few days I ended up with a dead battery after fueling up. Bum starting worked but would not allow bike to go more than 3 blocks before dying. First time I have brought a bike home on a tow truck! New battery and all good. Then I lose the front headlights! That turns out to be a ground wire threesome that is soldered and failed, resoldered myself and good to go. Then I get a Buelltooth and manage to read and turn off a #16 battery low voltage warning from the battery incident. That was all within last month before snow. Hopefully, I believe the gremlins are worked out.

Plan to get rear shock professionally rebuilt this winter, maybe led headlights as well.

PXL_20221011_144539545.MP (1).jpg PXL_20220918_212728417.jpg PXL_20220921_155959079.jpg
    Nice Bike! Looks just like mine. As Barrett mentioned; great that you've got most of the common issues worked out. Re: Rear shock(and FWIW), I used EPM Performance Imports, Inc.(sales@epmperf.com) to rebuild my rear shock. Seals,oil,gas valve,nitrogen gas,etc., and including labor, cost me $194.50. I was very happy with the service they provided. I also bought my Hyperpro 1" Combo lowering kit from them. They only charged me $25. to send it all back to me, clear across the country to CA.
    Last edited by TheWood; 11-23-2022 at 10:20 PM.

Well Lakota, I have owned two 2008 Buell and both have had bad voltage regulators with less than 12k miles. Pull yours off and check the backside for cracking in the potting material.

Other than that both have been reliable.

I am wondering if a 05 XB9 Firebolt rear shock will bolt in to my Ulysses XT. Not looking to ride it like that, just need something to replace Ulysses shock with, while original is out for rebuild, so I can move it around and not have bike stuck on stands.

#4 is?

I'll let you guess.

Shock will be a little long but good for what you’re doing