Thread: Lithium Battery LifePO4

Lithium Battery LifePO4

Hello dear Buell'ers

Sorry haven't checked in over a couple years. Wish my last battery lasted as long! Was wondering how we are doing with these next generation Lithium Ion batteries? Harley dealer said I should try one that it weighed a fraction of the Deka (formerly known as Big Crank). Claims to be 60 percent lighter, 2000+ cycle life vs a lead acid, 6 minute recharge time and 360 cranking amps.

I'm an old bastard and always somebody is trying to BS me so I ask about the warranty and gave him my stink eye. He pulled his phone and displayed a picture of his beautifully maintained Buell and said welcome my friend. Cost was little more than my last battery but because he was a fan I over looked the fact it lists no part number compatibility even close to the ETX14 or CTX14,s. He mentioned never use a lead acid trickle charger, get one specifically for Lithium Ion and gave a two year warranty.

How does all this set with the board members? Is my Buell going to spontaneously combust? I haven't started the bike yet, battery fits very loose in the box so using the spacers under the strap to hold it tight. All sounds too good to be true fellows.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by midway; 12-01-2022 at 05:41 PM.

I had an Antigravity lithium battery in my S1. Lasted a bit almost 2 years before it lost voltage and started bulging (on a proper dedicated lithium battery charger). I contacted Antigravity about warranty and have heard nothing back.

When the battery worked, it worked great. Silly light weight, smaller size, and I dont think that starter motor ever rotated that fast in its life.

Went back to a Deka Big Crank.

Verify that the battery has circuitry to be used with a regular battery charger, or a dedicated charger designed for a lithium battery. Most modern high end batteries can be used with either, but some of the older and/or cheaper designs require a special charger.

It's not about whats in there these days (Gel, Ion's, or Chicken bones), it's about getting a quality one. Stuff from a name brand you know should be good, stuff off a boat with too good to be true specs at 1/3 the price, is probably too good to be true, right? Most every Li-Ion has the charging/balance circuitry internally now so any charger will work. Read the box you bought.

I've been running the Li-Po batteries in most everything. The EBR came stock with one, so did the Burutalé. I put the same part# EBR battery in the XB-STT years ago and went many many miles with it, and transferred it to the Ss when I got that one It sits for 2-3 months without a tender and starts right up, it runs the headlights long to set-up camp, and hasn't failed yet (knocks wood).

The CCA ratings are cheating a little (like EV's 0-60 times, playing to their one party trick), and they don't like charging in below freezing temps (who's riding it that?). I'll keep buying them.

You're a Chicken Bone

You mentioned warranty and I recall taping the receipt to the back of the old battery because we all know how hard Buells are on batteries... it was still there! Cranked over with the new battery and road 33 miles to the store to claim it. They had nothing to replace it with today but that was fine because figue I made it on the new battery and took a store credit. Heck yeah, lucky break.

I will tape the new L'ion receipt to this one just in case... WINNING!

Total win!