Thread: Stator issues

Stator issues

Hi all. Im sitting with charging issues on my Ully. Have done tests on the stator. No continuity to ground from all 3 connectors, and between the 3 connectors the resistance is between 0.1 and 0.3 ohms. So those seem OK. However I only have the correct AC voltage on two of the three phases. The faulty phase is only giving me about 2 to 3 volts per 1000 RPM,s. Should I replace the stator or might the rotor need cleaning perhaps? Thanx.

You should list your Ulysses year and mileage as it helps other board members. Since you mentioned "3 connectors", you're dealing with a 3-phase XB charging system and 3-wire stator which is 2003-2007 model years inclusive. All stator tests I know of are listed below and are simple to perform with quality multi-meter. Rotors operate in misted-oil environment and normally remain reasonably clean. Check that all magnets are tight and none missing.

STATOR OUTPUT @ APPROX 3000RPM WITH FULLY CHARGED BATTERY--47-51 AC VOLTS

CHARGING SYSTEM OUTPUT WITH FULLY CHARGED BATTERY TESTED AT BATTERY TERMINALS SHOULD BE
    APPROX 12.5 VOLTS DC AT 1000RPM IDLE---13.5-14.7 VOLTS DC AT APPROX 3000RPM STEADY STATE

EACH PHASE TESTED FOR POTENTIAL GROUND FAULT THRU WINDINGS--READING OF ZERO--YOUR TEST INDICATES OK

EACH PHASE TESTED FOR RESISTANCE THRU WINDINGS--READING OF 0.4 OHMS MAX ALLOWABLE- YOUR TEST OK

TEST THAT STATOR ASSEMBLY HAS GOOD GROUND TO ENGINE CASE

These are all the known relevant stator/charging system tests. Your system is a very simple 3-phase alternator. Nothing mystical required to perform all tests. However...your Ulysses has a charging system plug behind the large plastic front pulley cover...known as the #77 connector plug. Problem child early on. Closely check yours.
    Connector tested for resistance and OK in appearance? Alternator stator passes all tests? Faulty Regulator.
    OEM stators are very good. Aftermarket reputable brands outstanding and reasonably priced. Ebay Chinese garbage stators? Tempting price but probably not worth the effort.

I agree with Barrett that an OE quality stator is worth the money and I don't think Rick's stators sells them anymore, anyway.

If you tested stator output while unplugged from the VR, buy a stator, theres nothing else in the system. Just spinning magnets and copper wire, SCIENCE!
    Upon removal, check the case pass-through and little 2 bolt harness cover plate for wire chaffing behind it.

If you checked with the VR still plugged in, unplug and re-check. Or even better, re-pin the 3 stator wires in the VR plug and test again. Any order is fine as long as its not the same pin as before. If the problem stays on the same wire going into the VR, buy a VR. If the problem moves to the new position in the plug (the same wire of the stator output as before), buy a stator.

Strange issue, but thanks for the detailed testing info!
    Last edited by Cooter; 03-13-2023 at 06:17 PM.

Aftermarket Stator

Just FYI, I bought a Cycle Electric Stator CE-0732 for my '08 off Amazon. It's a 2-wire, but I seem to recall they offer a 3-wire as well. The configurator doesn't like it - the stator is for Sportsters, and of course Buell isn't represented.

The only difference is the harness outside the case is a foot longer than the OEM one.Resized_20210319_170619.jpeg

pr